DW & GD wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by shan2themax, May 15, 2008.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. May 15, 2008 #1

shan2themax

shan2themax

shan2themax

another question while I have computer access.... I wired my dw to a gfci and from there ran wire to a switch for the GD and then the GD to the switch... no power though.... this is what i am thinking....
    I understood that line out was to protect circuits downstream.... but I was readin more on here... and it talks more about other receptecles.... so... should I have had the power into the load and the switch out from line? I believe I have it the opposite way... (this is something I am checking along with the light in my other post, sometime over the next few days) I belive that line from the wall is in the line position and that I have the line to the switch in the load position with the dishwasher plugged into the gfci and the dishwasher wired to the switch......

2. May 15, 2008 #2

Square Eye

Square Eye

Square Eye

Line = In from breaker
    Load = Out to other devices

3. May 15, 2008 #3

shan2themax

shan2themax

shan2themax

I actually had it wired correctly... I moved the dw out from under the counter a little bit so that I could see the gfci and saw that it was just tripped..... so... they are both working well... (and now I have a little bit of an ego that I did it right the first time... heheheh)
    see... you guys have taught me well

4. May 15, 2008 #4

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Way to go Shan!!!!
    One little caution though, electric motors such as in your dishwasher will sometimes trip a GFCI every time they kick on.
    We are proud of you.
    Glenn

5. May 15, 2008 #5

shan2themax

shan2themax

shan2themax

glenn... I did read that... and i would like to maybe put the receptacle where I can see it better without moving things... but I just do not want to at this point) only because I am burnt out

6. May 16, 2008 #6

Parrothead

Parrothead

Parrothead

Just a silly question- why do you have the dishwasher GFCI protected??? You don't need to do that. It will probably lead to a lot of nuisance tripping. The only receptacles in a kitchen that are required by code to be GFCI protected are the ones serving the countertops.

7. May 17, 2008 #7

shan2themax

shan2themax

shan2themax

Because it is near where water comes in for the dw and makes me feel more secure......... (and pretty much where I live not much code exists.....)

8. May 18, 2008 #8

JoeD

JoeD

JoeD

Put in a GFCI breaker instead or find another receptcle closer to the breaker and easier to check and reset. Who wants to be pulling out the dishwasher to check a GFCI.