Electric stove has been throttled. It does not get as hot as it could. How can I remove this artificial constraint?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repear

Reaction score
Our in-counter electric stove is throttled. I mean that it does not get as hot as it could get. How can I remove this artificial limitation?

20220713_183607~2.jpg20220713_184917.jpg

Is it a new symptom?
Are both burners affected?

A closer look suggests that it's a lower wattage cooktop. It says to use 16 AWG wire as a minimum (w/suitable temp insulation) and also may have hi-limit switches between the simmerstats and the burners.

Last edited:
this is a very basic wiring design. if the high limits were active you wouldn't get any heat versus little heat.
Control switch seems to be turning it on but, the resistance on higher settings may be worn out.
replace the control switches or at least measure ohms on them to see if they are both bad or not.
also check your ohms on the burners themselves.

My bad, I was confusing the hi-limit switch with sensi-temp switching technology which I haven't seen yet.

Simmerstats don't change resistance with settings so don't go replacing them. Since the total unit is 1.7 KW max it appears that it's more like a pair of hotplates. Front burner is 675 W and the rear is 950 W for a total of 1625 W.

For comparison with one of my Jenn-Air cartridges the front burner is prolly 1500 W and the rear burner 2500 W.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow where you feel this is "throttled" as it seems to be just a very limited heat item by design. It is rated for 1700 watts max by looking at the specs on the plate.
Consider that a common toaster is often in the 1500 watt range and you have a bit over a normal toaster . Say two very low power toasters at 850 each and you get the same heat?
The idea of the low heat is that they want it limited to avoid burning the house down!

The normal 8.5 inch stove burner is often in the 2100 watt range so this is not designed to give nearly the heat of a normal stove.
I might expect this to be for keeping a couple coffee pots hot in restaurants, etc.
Sorry, I see no safe way to retrofit for normal cooking.

Back