Electrical boxes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dthornton

inspector gadget
Reaction score
I have 4 "coach" style lamps for the outside of the house - 2 for the front and 2 for the side. The side will be mounted on either side of the door, which is under a porch. The front will be mounted on the front of the porch roof posts (hollow, square posts). The lamps are all to be mounted flush, with holes cut in the hollow posts (front) and the wall (side). My question is this: can I use those round, blue plastic "add on" boxes set in the wall/posts, or do I have to use those metal "waterproof" boxes? I used the "waterproof" boxes on the back of the house and it doesn't look the way I want. The lights stick out away from the wall, and the lamp bases are larger than the boxes, so they don't seal completely anyway. Suggestions? (Also, the "waterproof" boxes are $12 apiece as opposed to the plastic ones which are only a couple of dollars).

Cover with custom-cut pieces of thin solid wood from HD making an enclosure of sorts and leave a drain hole at the bottom?

BTW, I suspect but have never been able to prove that with the electrical hardware available and the restrictions imposed by the NEC there are some things that the HO wants that cannot be done no matter how creative the contractor is.

Last edited:
I don't know what code is, but up here all we see for porch lights are the little flat boxes screwed to the sheeting and the siding fitted around that and then the fixture. If it is exposed to rain they may caulk the top of the fixture.

Thanks guys. I don't see that it makes a big difference, as the fixtures won't seal up against the box anyway, no matter which one I use. I just wondered if NEC required those "waterproof" (haha) boxes to be compliant.

For higher cost but increased safety and no GFCI nuisance tripping maybe you could go to a 12vac system.

It's the shotgun approach. If even one pellet hits the mark we've succeeded.:clap:

Latest posts

Back