Electrical Panel Location

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david542

Reaction score
My panel is in the ban and I would like change the location of it while I keep the power for my pool and my garage. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Rent a generator for temporary power while you replace the old service in the barn.

Moving the panel should not take that long anyway if you (or someone else) knows how to do it. Your big problem will be with the City/Utility people getting there to permit it and turn it off/on.

JoeD is correct because those bureaucrats might take weeks . . . plan for the worst. :D

In your own house panel are you allowed to get a large Allen wrench and disconnect the three conductors coming in (after you put on level 2 arc flash PPE)?

You have to disconnect the lugs on a panel upgrade or relocation, either way. The overhead service connects at the weatherhead and your panel conductors take over from there.

I woud imagine David will do all the prep work before having the main service disconnected. That would include positioning the new panel and the new weatherhead plus the main connectors to the lugs. Then, with all the service discinnected, e might even pull new circuit wires and existing to the new panel and connect all breakers.

All that being done, he can run his backup generator until the Inspector gets his (you knw what) out there for final approval . . . then he has to wait for the utility poeple to do their thing.

Lotsa fun, huh?:D

Back