Electrical Panel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmaarrkk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great information. I have learned so much from everyone. One thing I learned is that my main electrical panel is a mess. I wanted to add a new breaker so I opened the panel and found numerous spots where the ground and nuetral wires are under the same screw. From what I can tell they are not part of the same circuit. I don't know if that makes a difference. My question is, should I clean these bus bars up. Should I remove all the wires and place the nuetrals under single screws and possibly triple the grounds so I have enough room for the new breaker. Can I add a new bus bar? If so, how?

I went back to look at my original home inspection to see if this was missed. The inspector passed it because none of the hots were double wired and the nuetral and grounds were not wired together in a sub panel. Is this correct.

Thanks so much!!

The main panel will have ground and neutral sharing the same bar.
The sub panle will have the ground and neutral separate.
You can double the ground or neutral in either panel as long as you observe the rules previously stated.

You can not double the neutral in main or sub panel. One neutral wire per terminal.

Latest posts

Back