Emergency boiler replacement - some Qs from a newb (long, sorry!)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reezekeys

Reaction score
After searching around I found this great site with very knowledgeable folk so I’m hoping for some good advice. We recently had a little “surprise” after a service call for our oil-fired boiler stopped working – it was condemned! The tech said we risked burning our house down so he shut it down for good, and we’re now needing to shop for a new boiler. Not a great position to be in. We were supplied with a small Rinnai ventless propane heater to get us through while we figure out what to do. I’m amazed what this little guy can do – the whole house is fairly comfortable, although we needed extra blankets during the Thanksgiving cold snap here in the northeast USA.

I would be very grateful for some informed opinions on the two quotes I have so far. The first is from a very established family-run oil company that we used to get deliveries from (they still do our propane). They have worked on our boiler in the past and they were the ones who condemned it.

First thing - the old boiler is a Slant Fin Liberty. The plate has two BTU figures, 117 and 131, this was explained to me but I have forgotten the explanation! This boiler was in the house when we bought it in 2002. It was estimated it to be between 20 and 25 years old. The boiler is strictly for our baseboard heat; we have a separate propane hot water heater.

My first question is regarding our second quote. This is a different company I’m not as familiar with, but they are also well-established, and deliver to many homes in my area. It was a happy customer that recommended them to me. The salesman claimed that an 87K BTU boiler would work fine for my house and that the reason my old boiler was bigger was because “they didn’t make them smaller back then.” He measured the total length of my baseboards, did some calculations and reiterated that I would be fine with 87K. He did offer to install the next bigger-sized unit for another $300. The boiler he quoted for us is a Burnham MPO-86.

Company #1 says you should not go to a smaller burner without doing a heat load assessment. Company #1 wants to install a “Peerless WBV-03 with Beckett burner W/O COIL.” I’m not sure of the BTUs on this one but believe it’s closer to our old boiler.

Our house is a small ranch, total of about 1600 square feet. It was damaged in a fire a few years ago, brought down to studs & beams, and refurbed – it has brand new windows, insulation and a new roof. Basically the entire inside of the house is new (including the baseboards). My utility bills have been much lower since we moved back in. But we are still in the New York City area, which definitely gets some cold snaps in the winter. So would you trust this judgement that an 87K boiler would work? Should I do a heat load assessment? I assume I will use less oil with a smaller boiler so it seems wise to go with that, as long as it can do a good job heating our house.

Ok the hard part: company #2’s quote is $1000 less than #1. $6800 vs $7800. A good buddy of mine whose family business is oil (unfortunately they’re not in my area) said the #1 quote sounded high to him. The #1 company said they do all-new piping “from the ceiling down” as opposed to what company #2 does which is a “slide in” (company #1’s term), meaning they will cut pipes near the old boiler to fit the new one in. Is the all-new piping a major advantage, or is a slide-in considered an OK way to replace a boiler?

I’ll stop here as this is already too long a post! I really appreciate any wise words of advice. Thanks!

Can't edit my original post above so I'm replying to myself. Just got off the phone with another company who explained the "slide-in" replacement vs "everything from the ceiling down." It's more than "pipes", it's all the extra stuff – expansion tank, zone valves, ball valves, etc. One of the reasons quote #1 is $1000 more I guess.

This is a good opportunity to remove the boiler system, and install a forced-air propane system, or natural-gas if that's available in your area.
With that you get air filtration, and the difficulties of oil would be gone.
1600 sq ft isn't a big house, and a centrally-located furnace-with-ac would distribute the air inside the house well.

Thanks for the reply! I did talk about converting to LP, but there were a few circumstances that worked against that. One is my wife - she very much wants convection heat, not forced air. We actually did add central air to the house after our fire, so we have ductwork now (easy to put in when the house is reduced to studs & beams!)– but that's for cooling only (it's not a heat pump).

As far as going with an LP boiler for our baseboards, the first contractor (company #1 with the higher quote) said in order to make it competitive with what we're paying for oil we would need a "high-efficiency" LP boiler that would cost a few thousand dollars more than the oil-fired boiler. Not sure that makes sense right now, as LP prices in our area are rather high and our tank is owned by this company so we are tied to them. I get oil COD from a few sources for a pretty good price.

Ed, we just decided to go with quote #1 even thought it's higher. We know this company well, and I spoke to another contractor who pointed out a few things that led me to believe the Peerless would be a better choice over the Burnham. I also got some good info from another HVAC forum. Thanks for taking the time to read my long message!

I know 2 folks with 3 houses all heated with those tiny wall hung propane rigs hung on the wall running in floor ( below floor ) heating. They are great. I’d love to send my old peerless packing .
I would in a second but for that little thing you mentioned. THE DAMN (needle in he arm) TANK. They’ve got you and they well know it and will take full advantage of you because they own it. And they are FUGLY too boot. At least with oil I can call around and fill it when I please like right now when oil is in the dumper. The only way I’d ever go propane is by buying a couple 100 lb tall tanks with an auto switch valve and filling them myself like I do for my dryer. Even then it’s all sorta iffy whether it would be worth it.

I don't like that about propane either, that tank.
A bud of mine installed a 1000 gallon underground tank, I'm thinking he might own it.
Probably pricey to do, though.
I have to admit, being able to get oil from any supplier is pretty good.

Latest posts

Back