Emergency Copper Pipe Cap

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentP

Reaction score
Guys;

My neighbor has a copper pipe broken due to freeze to an un-needed outdoor fixture. Getting a plumber here in the next few days, or even getting to a store to get supplies is not an option (can you guess where we live?). Would like to be able to get him some level of functioning water to the rest of his house.

Needless to say, I'm wondering if there is a way to field seal this pipe. Like - can I screw 2 2x4 together and squeeze the pipe shut with some silicon in it? Crimp it bend it and put a channel lock on it?

Or are we just SOL? Hoping since it's copper we have more options then PVC. Figure a plumber is going to cut the section of pipe out anyways and replace it - whats 5' of pipe replaced vs 3 right.

Thanks for the help everyone. Creative ideas welcome.

Go buy a Shark Bite quarter turn valve and cut the copper and slip it on and leave it closed until time to extend it back out when the weather improves.

I have flattened the end of a copper pipe shined it up real good (bright copper showing) folded the end over cleaned again and then soldered it shut.

I hope they got it fixed, I would have tried the crimp and channel lock route since they couldn't get out for parts.

I am going to go the Shark Bite route when I get around to working my pinhole leak problem. At present I only turn water on when needed. I am thinking my problem is behind the wall which is behind the toilet. The wall panel is a ¾" redwood panel which has been removed a couple of times before but I dread the toilet removal/reinstallation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back