enamel in bath?

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by analogmusicman, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Feb 11, 2017 #1

analogmusicman

analogmusicman

analogmusicman

is it still recommended to use enamel in baths? I ask because I think someone said once that regular latex is ok, is that "bull" and should I just stick with enamel?

tnx,

2. Feb 11, 2017 #2

havasu

havasu

havasu

I have not painted anything in enamel in 30+ years.

3. Feb 11, 2017 #3

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

Hope you mean bathrooms, not the bath tub.
    I use latex enamel paint all the time in bathrooms, for trim, and kids rooms.
    It's tougher, very scrubble.

4. Feb 11, 2017 #4

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Latex paint is okay for bathroom walls. Satin would be better than flat. But that depends on how shiny you think looks good.

5. Feb 12, 2017 #5

chrisn

chrisn

chrisn

6. Feb 12, 2017 #6

Mastercarpenty

Mastercarpenty

Mastercarpenty

Today's water-based paints are great, but an old-fashioned oil-based alkyd enamel still bests all of them for being water-resistant, most washable, and most durable of all the commonly available non-epoxy house-type paints.

I still use a fair amount of it. My biggest current customer does rentals and the low-end ones get this stuff in the kitchens and baths to minimize the repainting needed with their high turn-over rate. And I've still not seen any water-based paint that can offer the shine of a well-done oil-based gloss paint. Some get close though.

You don't really need an oil-based enamel in an owner-occupied home and unless that is what is on there now I'd recommend you use your preferred premium water-based paint instead. You'll be tired of the color long before that paint wears out and it's a heck of a lot easier to use.

Phil

7. Feb 14, 2017 #7

DFBonnett

DFBonnett

DFBonnett

Retired decorating contractor

For owner-occupied residences, I used Ben Moore Regal Select Eggshell for baths and kitchens for several years before I retired. The results were outstanding.