enamel in bath?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analogmusicman

Reaction score
is it still recommended to use enamel in baths? I ask because I think someone said once that regular latex is ok, is that "bull" and should I just stick with enamel?

tnx,

Hope you mean bathrooms, not the bath tub.
I use latex enamel paint all the time in bathrooms, for trim, and kids rooms.
It's tougher, very scrubble.

Today's water-based paints are great, but an old-fashioned oil-based alkyd enamel still bests all of them for being water-resistant, most washable, and most durable of all the commonly available non-epoxy house-type paints.

I still use a fair amount of it. My biggest current customer does rentals and the low-end ones get this stuff in the kitchens and baths to minimize the repainting needed with their high turn-over rate. And I've still not seen any water-based paint that can offer the shine of a well-done oil-based gloss paint. Some get close though.

You don't really need an oil-based enamel in an owner-occupied home and unless that is what is on there now I'd recommend you use your preferred premium water-based paint instead. You'll be tired of the color long before that paint wears out and it's a heck of a lot easier to use.

Phil

For owner-occupied residences, I used Ben Moore Regal Select Eggshell for baths and kitchens for several years before I retired. The results were outstanding.

Back