encapsulating a crawl space

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald73d

Reaction score
We recently purchased a home not far from the Delaware shore area. Like most houses around there it has a crawl space. I am use to basements in the northeast.

Looks like the original builder put down plastic sheeting but did not bother sealing it. There is a large dehumidifier that keeps it at 50% RH. Two sump pump basins with sump pumps but no covers. And the dirt is more like rocks and dirt rather than smooth dirt or sand.

So I am looking to re-do the encapsulation with 20 mil reinforced vapor barrier, all seams taped.

The issues are
1) probably need a liner to deal with rocks in the dirt.
2) there are well pump tanks, first floor air handler, dehumidifier, sump pump basins in the way
3) the height is about 2' high.

Suggestions?

We recently purchased a home not far from the Delaware shore area. Like most houses around there it has a crawl space. I am use to basements in the northeast.

Looks like the original builder put down plastic sheeting but did not bother sealing it. There is a large dehumidifier that keeps it at 50% RH. Two sump pump basins with sump pumps but no covers. And the dirt is more like rocks and dirt rather than smooth dirt or sand.

So I am looking to re-do the encapsulation with 20 mil reinforced vapor barrier, all seams taped.

The issues are
1) probably need a liner to deal with rocks in the dirt.
2) there are well pump tanks, first floor air handler, dehumidifier, sump pump basins in the way
3) the height is about 2' high.

Suggestions?
Do the obstacles have the old sheeting under them? If you close all venting you have condition the space too.

Back