Entertainment Room Ideas

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyguy85

Reaction score
I am looking for some inspiration on what to do with a basement family space. I was thinking some kind of developed entertainment room. I know people do game rooms, theatre rooms, arcades etc. What have you all done? I am looking for ideas so I'd like to see pictures as well as hear ideas.

How much room do you have available, are you looking to entertain kids or adults, are you interested in a game room, theatre, both of which can have a sizeable investment.

How old is the house, are the exterior walls finished, any signs of water damage, how high are the ceilings?

I don't know the dimensions off hand, but its a 1800 square foot home and aside from the laundry area (which is small) I am thinking the whole rest of the basement. There is no water damage, and the basement has never had problems with water. The house was built in the 70s or 80s I think.

As far as kids or adults, I am not exactly sure yet, maybe both. I was thinking somewhere where we can have fun, as a family preferably, but maybe also fun for adults as well? I know it can get pricey, but I am just in the thought process now, so I am open to seeing what others have done. I was thinking more in the hundreds or thousands than the 10 thousands or millions if that's helpful.

In my old house I had what I called a “media room” with a front projection theater. That is much more affordable than you may think and is very DIY friendly. I had a 120” screen setup with sports bar like lighting the projector was selected and the screen designed and built around such. Big L shaped sectional couch and behind that I built a slightly raised area called the balcony / peanut gallery. The Warner theater an early 1900’s movie palace now the home of the local stage productions was reseating the theater and I was able to get a row of theater seats, the same ones I sat in as a boy. So behind the sectional there is a short wall and then this movie theater seating a row of 7 seats. The railing in front of you had built in cup holders and you viewed by looking over the peoples heads in front. We had the popcorn machine and the whole 9 yards. This was in the basement by the way.

My new house we built a much smaller more dedicated theater only 100” screen and a single row seating.

It depends on your vision of what you want to do down there. I’m an old movie buff and also enjoy sports on a big screen. Others are into gaming, some people like a drinking room with a pool table. If you have young kids or drunk friends watching the super bowl you need a level of light more than a normal movie theater. AVS science is a great source for information. I used to be an avid poster there.

You can do it on a budget.

Very cool. Do you have photos of either setup? I really like the actual theatre seats idea.

I had a great page built on a site called webshots and they went away. I will have to see if I can find the old photos and post a few.

we will show you pictures my friend . I would like to see your hall first of all. By seeing i can give you mine ideas related to the wall colors and other interiors.
Red-Interiors-ArchitectureArtDesigns-6.jpg

mathewanderson, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

That is a sweet photo of an impressive room.

Back