Entertainment Room Ideas

Discussion in 'Decorating and Design' started by diyguy85, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1

diyguy85

diyguy85

diyguy85

I am looking for some inspiration on what to do with a basement family space. I was thinking some kind of developed entertainment room. I know people do game rooms, theatre rooms, arcades etc. What have you all done? I am looking for ideas so I'd like to see pictures as well as hear ideas.

2. Nov 18, 2013 #2

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

How much room do you have available, are you looking to entertain kids or adults, are you interested in a game room, theatre, both of which can have a sizeable investment.

3. Nov 18, 2013 #3

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

How old is the house, are the exterior walls finished, any signs of water damage, how high are the ceilings?

4. Nov 20, 2013 #4

diyguy85

diyguy85

diyguy85

I don't know the dimensions off hand, but its a 1800 square foot home and aside from the laundry area (which is small) I am thinking the whole rest of the basement. There is no water damage, and the basement has never had problems with water. The house was built in the 70s or 80s I think.

As far as kids or adults, I am not exactly sure yet, maybe both. I was thinking somewhere where we can have fun, as a family preferably, but maybe also fun for adults as well? I know it can get pricey, but I am just in the thought process now, so I am open to seeing what others have done. I was thinking more in the hundreds or thousands than the 10 thousands or millions if that's helpful.

5. Nov 20, 2013 #5

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

In my old house I had what I called a “media room” with a front projection theater. That is much more affordable than you may think and is very DIY friendly. I had a 120” screen setup with sports bar like lighting the projector was selected and the screen designed and built around such. Big L shaped sectional couch and behind that I built a slightly raised area called the balcony / peanut gallery. The Warner theater an early 1900’s movie palace now the home of the local stage productions was reseating the theater and I was able to get a row of theater seats, the same ones I sat in as a boy. So behind the sectional there is a short wall and then this movie theater seating a row of 7 seats. The railing in front of you had built in cup holders and you viewed by looking over the peoples heads in front. We had the popcorn machine and the whole 9 yards. This was in the basement by the way.

My new house we built a much smaller more dedicated theater only 100” screen and a single row seating.

It depends on your vision of what you want to do down there. I’m an old movie buff and also enjoy sports on a big screen. Others are into gaming, some people like a drinking room with a pool table. If you have young kids or drunk friends watching the super bowl you need a level of light more than a normal movie theater. AVS science is a great source for information. I used to be an avid poster there.

You can do it on a budget.

nealtw likes this.
  6. Nov 21, 2013 #6

diyguy85

diyguy85

diyguy85

Very cool. Do you have photos of either setup? I really like the actual theatre seats idea.

7. Nov 22, 2013 #7

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

I had a great page built on a site called webshots and they went away. I will have to see if I can find the old photos and post a few.

8. Jan 17, 2014 #8

mathewanderson

mathewanderson

mathewanderson

we will show you pictures my friend . I would like to see your hall first of all. By seeing i can give you mine ideas related to the wall colors and other interiors.[​IMG]

nealtw likes this.
  9. Jan 28, 2014 #9

diyguy85

diyguy85

diyguy85

mathewanderson, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

That is a sweet photo of an impressive room.