Ethernet Cable Mess

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

109AllTheTime

Reaction score
I’m trying to get Ethernet in my office upstairs and I’ve got quite the scenario. Our home was “pre-wired” for a security system and Cat5e Ethernet in 2015. I honestly don’t remember what this rats nest looked like when we moved in, but since then we’ve had Xfinity internet installed and now AT&T Fiber internet installed.

This is where things get fun. We have 5 total blue Cat5e lines going up into the wall. One comes from outside and is spliced with the white cable going to the AT&T modem. There is another one spliced that ends in the closet. It uses the same wire connectors as the live one from outside.

1FE69322-0263-4A15-9CD0-780675C7F071.jpeg

Next, there is a lone blue cable that has been cut.
FF6E0696-5E72-4DDF-943A-104452747264.jpeg

After that is two blue wires that it looks like someone got angry at and tried to splice together with wire nuts

58804F08-9948-4763-8D71-72DED58E5EE2.jpeg

The weird thing is, there is only one Ethernet jack in the entire house (main floor) and it is non-functional from the Xfinity install.

My question is, where do the other three cables go? Is this the “termination” point? I’ve been all through my attic trying to find any of these. All I have been able to find is coax cables which meet in this same closet. 884B2D6B-CD2A-405F-B2E0-3771D20206C5.jpeg

There’s also no other place in the house or garage that all these cables meet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Those connection are not ethernet compatible. Those cable are being used for phone or part of the security system. They may not go to one central point or they may go to the security sytsem controller.

Those connection are not ethernet compatible. Those cable are being used for phone or part of the security system. They may not go to one central point or they may go to the security sytsem controller.

That’s good to know, thank you! We opted to not have our house wired for phone jacks, so it must be for our security system. I guess I’ll go the MoCA route since coax is readily available.

Latest posts

Back