Every OTHER month consumption increases 10k gals

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkizzort

Reaction score
Until June of this year, my monthly consumption was always right at 27,000 gals/month. Starting in June, every OTHER month my consumption increases almost exactly 10,000 gals.

I live by myself and have guests only 4-6 days per year. The only other usage variable I have any knowledge about or control over is my landscape irrigation system, which accounts for a bit more than 2/3 of my monthly consumption. The timer on my irrigation system appears to be working just fine and I have only one watering pattern programmed into it, which has not varied for more than a year.
The water company and the company that service my irrigation equipment/system have been unable to offer any useful suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this unexplainable pattern of a large usage jump alternating months.
My water meter is new as of March of this year and also appears to be working just fine. It is read manually, and all my usage readings for 2009 have been actual, not estimated usage numbers.
I can’t think of any way I could be using so much extra water all of a sudden, but only every 2nd month. (If I had a leak, or even an irrigation timer problem, wouldn’t it show up EVERY month rather than every other one?
Can anyone suggest a reason for this inconsistency, or how I might go about discovering what is causing it?
Thanks!
KK--Orlando, FL

I would assume if the water meter is functioning properly the issue is with the irrigation system itself. Now, maybe with some of the settings or something it uses more water every other month, or is just programmed improperly. Obviously the problem lies within the irrigation system, consider monitoring the usage of the water via the system with a portable meter and see.

I would record your water meter reading every day, and plot them on a graph. When the water consumption increases, hopefully you'll be aware of any additional water usage.

Another thing worth trying is to mark the position of your water meter needle on the glass with a felt pen at night, and then check it the following morning. If there was no water usage at night, the movement of the needle will indicate a water leak.

I'll try checking the meter overnight for some days right away, and then some days again at the start of the next likely "elevated usage" part of the cycle and see what I come up with.

I've reviewed the irrigation timer meticulously one more time, and everything is fine there, though I can't help but agree that the irrigation system is at the heart of the problem. I just haven't yet figured out how.

KK

With that kind of water usage and the ridicules cost of water these days, I would consider drilling a well. Sure, it will smell a bit of sulphur gas in Orlando, but it's nearly free once the initial cost is paid off.

The idea of paying for sewage and water in the same bill are also a rip. Whether you put it on the grass or in the tub, the cost is the same.

Go to the local home improvement store, buy a water gauge that will go on the garden bib, turn on the spicket and check the P.S.I. Than shut off the water meter. If the P.S.I drops then you are loosing water and may have a leak under ground. if the needle on the gauge does not move,there is no leak.
Hope this helps.

Phx Plumber,

Back