Extend Ledger Beyond House? Double Up Ledger?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harborremodel

Reaction score
I'm starting my deck build running 12" on center 2x8 and 4x8 beams with footers every 5' feet. I'm trying to figure out if i can use the design pictured in my rendering to extend the deck beyond the house by about 20". Can I double up the ledger board on the house to give it more weight bearing ability? I know it's not a large cantilever but what is standard practice here? The ledger board is pictured in blue in the attached pictures.

The ledger is 2 x 8 currently and I'll be using ledgerlok Simpson screws to anchor it into the house as well as a few tension ties to really make it a solid attachment. Screenshot 2018-11-11 23.44.21.png Screenshot 2018-11-12 00.03.57.png

I'm thinking instead of using a doubled up 2x8 x 12 just getting s 4 x 10 x 12 to make sure it's a beefy setup.

If you are hanging from a cantilevered ledger you want a double and both should be either 8 or 10 ft long then change to single . All our ledgers get 1/2" lags, or thru bolts, or anchors .
Your picture shows you joist butting on the beam, I would land them side by side on the beam. Just move the layout 1 1/2" on the next section.

I ended up grabbing a 4 x 10 x 14 and mounting it to the house with 8" Simpson Timber-Ties in a staggered 3 every 16" pattern. It's weird that the Simpson timber ties and the Ledger Lock screws both recommend that the screw threads go beyond the rim joist, it just seems like you'd want to threads actually embedded into the rim joist instead of just past it.

I ended up grabbing a 4 x 10 x 14 and mounting it to the house with 8" Simpson Timber-Ties in a staggered 3 every 16" pattern. It's weird that the Simpson timber ties and the Ledger Lock screws both recommend that the screw threads go beyond the rim joist, it just seems like you'd want to threads actually embedded into the rim joist instead of just past it.
They are expecting there to be something behind the rim joist. Most of our engineers call for a 1/2" lag bolt every 32" just long enough to reach the far side of the rim, so normally we use a 3 or 3 1/2 x 1/2" galvanized lag with a washer.

They are expecting there to be something behind the rim joist. Most of our engineers call for a 1/2" lag bolt every 32" just long enough to reach the far side of the rim, so normally we use a 3 or 3 1/2 x 1/2" galvanized lag with a washer.

I guess it's one of those things that even though it's recommend you just second guess it. I'm tempted to put those 1/2 lags in just for extra insurance but i think it's be way overkill at this point. Here's some pics and you can see the cantilevered ledger in the distance.
2018-11-15 12.15.36.jpg

Latest posts

Back