Extending patio: trying to estimate cost etc

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I have a concrete patio that's 12' deep (from the wall of the house) and 18' wide. I want to extend it further to make it about 24' X 18', but using pavers instead of concrete for the extra 12'x18' space..

My backyard is sloped and the drop in height between the edge of the current patio and the new edge is about 2'

I probably want to build a retaining wall along the edge (not sure if there are any other options). In addition to removing the sod from the area to be filled with pavers, some sort might have to be done to ensure I don't get bamboo growing though the patio. Mybackyard is infested with bamboo and, as you can see from the photos, it's already growing near the patio.

If I hire someone to do this, I'd like to first get a rough idea of cost in labor in material. There are probably many options that affect this but I am not sure what these are.

One important factor is that this extension needs to be kind of "temporary/permanent". We are considering building an addition to the house which might go over the existing patio so it will have to be removed. I suspect we will not extend the addition further but if we do, and it ends up partially covering the patio extension, I don't want to "throw it away". Since the house renovation might not happen for the next 2-3-5 years, I want to extend the patio now hoping to enjoy the results for many years to come.

So how much might this cost? And how long do you think the job might take?

Thx!

IMG_5301.jpg

IMG_5302.jpg

IMG_5303.jpg

Getting quotes is the best way to get prices for your area.
But What I think will have to be done, might help.
Keep in mind that an addition to the house over the old patio wiull require the the concrete will be removed so footing and foundation can be put in.
For you new patio you will need to have the top sil removed and then have a retaining wall built at the lower end, concrete, Allan block type or wood timber then the whole area will have to be filled with some agrigate material that will compact to be suitable for pavers.
I would requimend you wait and include this in with the addition.

Nobody here can estimate the cost of work in your area, especially since we don't know what area we're even talking about. So, as Neal said, quotes from local contractors is your best bet.
The two projects are incompatible, but at least you can pick up pavers and move them, so that's a positive. I have used railroad ties to border a paver patio with good results. but a two foot drop-off is a bit of a risk, so you might consider steps...or a railing at the edge.

Getting quotes is the best way to get prices for your area.

Nobody here can estimate the cost of work in your area, especially since we don't know what area we're even talking about.

I should have been clearer: how much do you think such a job would cost in YOUR area? I realize that comparing your area with mine might be a bit apples to oranges but it will still be useful for me as a rough estimate.

FWIW, I am in a MD suburb of DC

Oh, and thanks for the other advise

Even someone in that business would have to walk the area make an estimate on material to be moved and brought in, give you reason on why one type of wall would be better than others. Having three outfits come in and quoter the job is the only advice I could give. Sorry.

Back