Exterior brick repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patricko

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here and had a quick question about brick repair.
I've got an exterior wall on a house that is only 5 years old and noticed this winter that an exhaust vent was too close to the wall (which I've now moved) and has caused the facing of the bricks to flake off, I've attached an image.

I didn't notice any damage until this year, but I imagine it's from the cold temperatures and constant moisture on the bricks that was coming from this vent, as some ice had frozen on the wall there. I'd like to know what the best way to repair the few bricks would be to a) keep them from any further damage and b) keep them looking close to the color of the rest of the bricks. Thanks for your help.

brik-damage.jpg

You can not repair bricks. Either pressure wash them (to get the water stains off) and leave as is or cut out the damaged bricks and replace them.

Thanks JeoD. Where they look stained, the facing has kind of chipped/crumbled off. If I pressure washed, should I do anything afterwards to seal them or anything to prevent further deterioration? I thought I read somewhere not to pressure wash brick, but to use a cleaner and spray with a regular hose, not sure if that's true or not.

Last edited:
They have like absorbed to much moisture and froozen damaging the outside surface, finding replacement might be tricky.

Those brick were never intended to be pristine in the first place and have a wide range of colors and textures and were chosen for that. I think you are seeing some moisture on the faces that bring out the real colors. None of those type of brick did not have real regular outer face when new.

You are seeing moisture on the brick due to wet, moist air coming from the vent and condensing from the brick.

The recommendations about not power washing are meant for the "bull in the woods" brute force people. Actually it is to preserve the mortar, which is weaker.

You can wash, but do not use too much pressure or the wrong nozzle.

Dick

Back