Exterior door frame warped while drywall dried

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pull10k

Reaction score
Hi,
I unfortunately am having my den redone due to tree fall. The room has been heavily taped and spackle spread heavily for 2 days. The contractor has complained it is not drying.
Tonight the exterior door jamb must have warped severely because it won't close and the center hinge is severely stressed when trying to close it.
There is no way the wet walls didn't cause this.
What the heck do I do now?
It was working fine for 45 years before this.

With out knowing the damage you are dealing with to the house, I would question the the wall itself. Are you sure something else didn't change. If the framw warped, all you can do is hope it will come back as things dry out.

Send pics ASAP. If the frame has warped, it could be from stress due to poor re-framing. Weight load from the attic/roof that was not properly repaired could do this. An improperly attached door frame could do this.

Help us to help you.

CROOKED%20DOOR_275.jpg

If the moisture caused this, then removing the moisture and drying things out would bring it back - we see this effect in our wood pantry doors in our kitchen when it gets very humid (we have AC only is basement and bedroom). When things dry up, the wood returns. Frankly, I don't think there is enough moisture in the drywall to do this - it generally takes very high humidity in an unconditioned room and also a few days. Very humid air has many gallons of water in it - your drywall probably only gave off a gallon of evaporated water. You had a large tree fall on this den right? That would certainly have an effect.

Door frames are tricky - but they can be straightened out.

Back