exterior new walls/siding.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northern

Reaction score
We're in the middle of December here in Ontario, and would like to know how long the raw walls(wood) can be exposed to this kinda of weather(snow/rain) or the house has to be wrapped.

We ran into a small problem where our wood siding needed to be removed and therefore leaving nail holes in the existing wrap. Will this affect it? or is required to be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

northern, I hope you at least have a house wrap covering the wood wall. If you don't I'd go get some and put it on the wall till you can get the siding back up. Prolonged exposure to the elements is not a good position to be in for your wood wall. If you have OSB run don't walk to the home improvement store and cover it up asap. If you do have house wrap, tape any holes to prevent future air infiltration. Is this something you are doing yourself or did you hire someone?

northern, I hope you at least have a house wrap covering the wood wall. If you don't I'd go get some and put it on the wall till you can get the siding back up. Prolonged exposure to the elements is not a good position to be in for your wood wall. If you have OSB run don't walk to the home improvement store and cover it up asap. If you do have house wrap, tape any holes to prevent future air infiltration. Is this something you are doing yourself or did you hire someone?

Thanks for your help. Ya we hired someone to do this but ended up putting the siding vertical instead of horizontal so they had to rip them off. Now we're waiting for new siding and the wood is actually OSB, but the house looks like its covered with the wrap. No tape beween where the wrap meets eachother though.

Northern, while you have the siding off go around the perimeter of the house and probe to see if you have any soft spots in the OSB board. Now would be the time to correct any areas where water may have impacted the structural integrity of the wall board. Seal up as GBR pointed out to avert air intrusion. Hope all works for ya.

Back