Exterior remodel - windows or trim first?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattgso

Reaction score
Greetings all. We have a brick ranch built in 1986. We're in Greensboro, NC. New 30 year roof install 5 years ago.

The windows need replacing and I want to put aluminum siding over the exterior wood trim rather than repaint.

I can't afford both in one shot. Any thoughts on what I should do first? Windows? Trim? Or perhaps do all the non-window trim and then replace the windows?

Open to suggestions.

Thanks!!

I doubt that the order in which these are done is irrelevant so I recommend listing the possible and probable upsides and downsides [that are particularly important to you: this forum can provide the 'generic' upsides and downsides] of doing each option first.

This is a good Decision Theory problem.

Last edited:
Well the only argument I can for doing the windows first is not having to do the trim around the windows twice.

Besides that, I can't think of any other reason. I'm hoping others can point out something I may not be considering.

If you are changing all the windows in the house, don't cheat, you will find that one or more have leaked and have hidden rot that needs to be fixed from inside or outside, whichever is easier. Covering any of that with metal will only make it worse over time.

Thanks. I'm looking for some links,books, videos, etc, for a good "how to guide" for removal, inspection, and replacement. I'll post that question in the windows section.

Back