Exterior stone cap failing ...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimR

Reaction score
My daughter's house has a stone wall in the front, similar to what you would see on a fireplace (thin like brick). On top of the stone is a "cap" that is 5.5" deep and 3.5" tall ... then the aluminum siding finishes up the wall.

The cap is cracked and failing so replacement is needed. The replacement stone cap of the same size is very expensive. I'm left with a couple questions ...

(1) Does anyone know of a replacement material this size in 8-12 foot lengths I could use ... say precast concrete of maybe a PVC solution?

(2) Would a pressure treated timber screwed to the exterior wall be a solution ... a 4x6 is just about the right size. I would cut a taper like a sill would have (10 degrees) and cault liberally at install.

JimR

We really could use a picture on this one.
Pressure treated is the last thing I woul use. Once you cut it to the core there in no more treatment on the inside of it. The caulking is just going to fail over time, and you would have to wait months for it to dry out enough to stain. Plus pressure treated loves to try and curl up or check.

I won't be able to get a picture until May but maybe a better description ...

On the front of the house there is a brick ledge in the foundation ... the last row of blocks are set back. From here there is stone, (Landon or Lannin stone is what they call it in Wisconsin I am told), laid just like brick except that the pieces are not all the same size but they are the same thickness.

I assume there are brick ties or other clips holding the stone tight to the wall (normal 2x construction). The whole thing is about 5 foot tall. Then on top is a stone cap that is about 3.5" tall and 5.5" deep ... with most pieces about 4 foot long (along the wall).

This house was built in 1959 and the stone cap has cracks and some chunks missing. I'm thinking that it will look like crap if I patch it and/or caulk it. I am looking at materials that I could patch it with and skimcoat the whole thing so it is even.

It seems like pulling it out would be the best solution but pretty much the whole thing needs to go. I could maybe reuse good parts but then I think it would look odd to have old material and new. The "right" cap can be had but the size makes it expensive ($2000 for just the stone).

The idea of wood came from the size of the cap matching the cross-section of a 4x6. I was thinking I would screw through the face into the 2x walls every 16", plug the wholes and prime/paint the whole deal. I would want to cut the top at an angle so water runs away from the house plus silicone all joints.

I have figured out this stone cap is also called a watertable. I have seem many cultured stone materials but the size isn't what I need and I think I have to match the size very well so everything fits back together.

Any thought would be appreciated!

JimR

Latest posts

Back