Faucet handle replacement options

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxdad118

JOAMOS
Reaction score
I’m needing to replace my bathroom faucet handles as they have become seized due to the washer getting damaged. I had to use pliers just to get the 2 halves to rotate which allowed me to get them off. They are Glacier Bay, Home Depot specials. There is no set screw that holds these on and have to loosen the bottom section to release the handle from the valve. Is this a common style and should I be able to get something at the hardware store?

Attachments

• 64863AF9-122E-45A0-83F0-66E029340308.jpeg
    64863AF9-122E-45A0-83F0-66E029340308.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 12A0D7ED-A343-429D-8FE6-E3C6BC27A188.jpeg
    12A0D7ED-A343-429D-8FE6-E3C6BC27A188.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 87D68F76-3D0A-42A9-8CCA-B528FEE418EE.jpeg
    87D68F76-3D0A-42A9-8CCA-B528FEE418EE.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 8
My 2 cents.

What I've found, is that Glacier Bay products, are Chinese remanufactured versions of American made products, and in the early version, as often as not, the thread pattern was slightly off.

The 1st experience was Prise/Fister and there has never been another, because I don't but Glacier Bay, or any other of HD"s remanufactured products.

I'm not familiar with that type of faucet, so you might have some luck at HD, on a day when there is someone there, that actually has trade experience.

Any of those, and as an afterthought, viewing some of their PDF'S may lead you to repair parts, for yours.

Well, I thought I was looking at the correct manual for my bathroom faucets but it’s actually for the jacuzzi tub. Turns out I have a Moen (Darcy model) after a bit of research. So now I have to call them and see if I can buy just the handles.

Well that was pretty painless. I talked to a rep from Moen on the phone and it sounds like this may be a common issue or just trying to keep me as a customer as they are sending me 2 new handles + cartridges! Good deal. My cartridges are fine, not dripping and I can turn them by hand but that’s cool.

A lot of theses mafgs will send you parts, at no charge, for the cust. service recommendations.

Businesses, doing business.

Well that was pretty painless. I talked to a rep from Moen on the phone and it sounds like this may be a common issue or just trying to keep me as a customer as they are sending me 2 new handles + cartridges! Good deal. My cartridges are fine, not dripping and I can turn them by hand but that’s cool.
While local stores will charge you for Moen parts IF they even carry the correct ones... Moen is priced high enough that they have a lifetime guarantee IF you call them...
I'd be hesitant to replace non leaking cartridges because replacements parts are often Asian made and slightly undersized and will never stop leaking! Maybe just relubricate the old parts with Plumber's Grease...

While local stores will charge you for Moen parts IF they even carry the correct ones... Moen is priced high enough that they have a lifetime guarantee IF you call them...
I'd be hesitant to replace non leaking cartridges because replacements parts are often Asian made and slightly undersized and will never stop leaking! Maybe just relubricate the old parts with Plumber's Grease...
Yeah I wasn’t planning on replacing the cartridges only because the valves turn like butter, it doesn’t drip or leak. Thanks for the knowledge!

In my opinion, Moen has one of the most honest and competent Customer Service sections out there. We contact them as needed to get replacement parts. They are typically at no charge under the 100% lifetime guarantee.
Recently we got a new kitchen faucet from them as a result of an offer they made my wife when we had called for parts. I thought they were offering us $75 off; turns out they were offering 75% (PER CENT) off. On determination of the final price it seemed like a good deal.
Mrs. Nigerian is really happy with the faucet.

I used to go to moen and walk in the door with all sorts of broken parts. they would give me whatever I in needed , no charge , did not even ask for a bill. so when i would recommend faucets it was at the top of my list

I was happy to get 2 new handles, cartridges for both, a few minutes later I was back in business. All is well. Great customer support. No questions asked about a receipt or when I bought them.

Back