Fence gate

Help Support House Repair Talk:

shan2themax

Reaction score
How do I make a gate out of this as is? I am going to be getting a roll off dumpster in July I believe and I can't physically carrying stuff all the way around the house, so.... using what is already here and making a gate would make things easier. The roll off would be 20 feet in front of it. 20210520_200621.jpg

Snoonyb

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the gate that is already there?

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
She wants to turn a fence section into a gate, but what is that steel piece or darker lumber on the left?
Agree that this already looks like a gate, so wtf?

Last edited:

Sparky617

Reaction score
Do you need it to be a gate permanently or just for the time you'll have the dumpster? If just for the time with the dumpster I'd just cut the 2x4 braces at the midpoint on each of the two posts and remove that section of fence. When you're done put it back in place. Making a swinging gate that wide will require some rebuilding. You'd need to install a cross brace to support the gate. I'd cut the panel in half and then install a Z brace from the top middle down to the hinge on each post.

Here is a decent video.

shan2themax

Reaction score
I don't know why it was built this way. The fence between the houses yards has the support at the bottom. The gate is question has a long story behind it and I don't want to type all of that. However, the neighbor next door and I have stuff pulled up here and are going to be tossing it when we rent a dumpster after my oldest moves out (he's buying a house!).
Do I want it to be permanent..... yes, I believe so. I could actually buy a small riding lawn mower that could fit into the back yard (after I fixed the mess of yard under all this stuff).
So, it an 8 foot span. 77 inches between the pressure treated wood. However it wouldnt have to be that wide. I'm thinking 50-55" would be plenty for a 42" rider. Although, there is a dip stand and pullup bar built in front of it, so I need to measure that out before doing anything drastic.

I also want to be able to use the spigot on that side of the house, however, I would need to plumb to what is there (that spigot use to belong to a well).

Here's a picture that shows the whole fence. I have watched several videos (including the one above) and have a good idea of what I need to do. I'd have to complete it all in one day as I have dogs that are outback several times a day. 20210521_120735.jpg

Snoonyb

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.Is your property on the left, or right?
It clarifies, but also adds another dimension, to be considered.

Somewhere, in the expanse, between the two occupancies, is a property line, which needs to be respected, because properties change hands.

The property title will give you accurate dimensions of your lot, from which you will be able to ascertain, the approximate location of where that is, in that open space. Whoever built that fence may have taken that into consideration, however, it doesn't appear so.

Snoonyb

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be, however, if you don't ask, you don't receive.

A person can write paragraphs re. their intentions, however not telling the whole story, in detail, just simply elicits speculative responses.

shan2themax

Reaction score
So my property is on the right and goes to the left at about 15 inches from the house on the left, for an excerpt of the long story.... the previous owner put the fence up between the houses because she didnt want her grandson to be able to go between the house (he, his sister and mom lived there. The owner was the tenants, grandmother in law?) To say we didn't get along would be an understatement. I took it for a while and then I exploded one day amd that brought an end to the issues, and then she sold it about 6 months later... maybe a little longer.

The person that built it was a handyman of sorts. He left all the dirt he dug up for fence posts on this fence and the fence separating back yards just paying wherever, my old fence that he pulled up, he left laying and left concrete from previous posts laying.... which is why I said it would be a future endeavor for a riding lawn mower. I will have to get all of the crap of both of ours cleaned up and then work on releveling the yard in that area.

I'm still having alot of physical problems, going to Orthopedic surgeon next week to look at my right knee and hip and left achilles tendon....

I am hoping for some decent relief of problems so I can get these things done.

Snoonyb

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. We're getting closer.

The true process on insuring the exact property line locations, is a survey, conducted by a lic. surveyor, and the resulting legal report and map.

Should the adjacent property be sold, and the new owner decides to enclose the property with a boundary defining fence, you, in a neighborly gesture, can provide them with a copy of that, legal, survey. Which will preclude an exhausting dispute and damages.

Were I you, I would insert a new post 3' from the neighboring structure, construct the gate and the necessary fence amendments, and call it a day.

Latest posts