Fence Post Twisted

Help Support House Repair Talk:

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm installing a 6ft tall fence. I placed a double post (two pressure treated 4x4s) at the end of the fence row to provide a more stable mount for the gate. But the dual 4x4s twisted about 5 degrees from the bottom (which is perpendicular to the fence line) to the top (now at a 5 deg angle to the fence line.

Should I shim the hinges?

Should I plane it down a bit?

Thank you!

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
Post a few good pictures.

Five degrees does not sound like much of a problem for gate hinges, but pics will advise.

Snoonyb

Reaction score
KISS principal, shim the hinges and use longer fasteners.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20200720_202757.jpg20200720_202951.jpg20200720_202722.jpg
Above pic is face-on.

Other pics try to show angle via overhead view. The last pic shows the a board perpendicular to the post at the bottom and one perpendicular to the top of the post hit my house 6 inches apart over 4 ft. That gives me a calculated angle of 7.7 degrees.

I swear that they were nice, straight and even when I put them into the ground.

Recommendations appreciated. Sympathy and empathy inferred.

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
I still can’t see why a twisted post would affect the gate, most gate hinges are pretty sloppy as far as tolerances.

Maybe a quick sketch or diagram would help.

Otherwise, yes shimming is probably an east fix to square up the mounting surfaces.
Maybe use plastic or composite shims, and a little polyurethane construction adhesive or Liquid Nails to keep them in place over the years.
Pre-drill any holes for screws going through them, they tend to split.

Meanwhile, this is why I buy posts at least a month early, buy extra posts, lay them down flat, roll over a few times if possible, and bring back the ones that twist or warp the worst.
And you can put a twisted or warped end down in the hole, to sometimes salvage a bad one.