Fill gap between Wash basin and drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harishusharma

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a toilet with small wash basin cabinet installed. But there is a gap from drywall around 1.5 inch.

While washing hands kids spilling the water. How do I fill the gap?

Appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks,
Harish

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 15.16.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 15.16.22.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
Here is one possibility.
Make a filler/side-splash as shown below. The difficult part is how to fasten it, but the sides-plash portion gives you a way to put a couple of screws into the studs.
I envision the three pieces shown below all glued and screwed together before installation. To look proper, it should be finished in high pressure laminate (Formica or equiv). If you have not done it before, its really not difficult. Lots of Youtube videos to help you out. Just that one piece, on the side-splash covering the screw holes will have to be adhered after installation in the bathroom (to cover the mounting screws).
After you become an expert at applying laminate, you might decide to make a matching backsplash piece, since you will have lots of left-over laminate (as far as I have seen, laminate is only sold in 4x8 sheets or bigger).

Attachments

• Countertop 2.jpg
    Countertop 2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
Roll up a towel and place it on the gap when the kids are washing up. Then start teaching them to be more careful and in a year or so they will be older and have learned to not blast the water.

Another solution would be to almost turn off the water below the sink at the shutoff valves so the flow is really low and the kids won’t be able to splash it out as easily.

:coffee:

Could the cabinet be moved be flush with the wall? If not, maybe a filler that matches or harmonizes with the basin would be more aesthetically appealing (or a small shelf for soaps/lotions). I'm assuming the rear of the basin is flush with the wall. Does the wall have a step/inset or is that an optical illusion for me?

Last edited:
Back