Fill in Swimming pool

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas529

Reaction score
Anyone here ever fill in an in ground swimming pool. this one is approx 18 by 36 3 to 7 ft deep. Concrete apron around the perimiter. I am told the liner pools have metal forms on sides and sand bottoms. No permit needed from county and no restrictions as to what is buried..
Reason: Wife and I have had 4 pools in our houses and never want another. This one is not in real good shape and would require a new liner as well as filter. Just not worth the hassle. Plus, I will get the assessed value of my house lowered about 10k.
I was going to cut up the concrete into 2 ft by 2 ft squares, pump all the water out, remove the liner and remove the metal sides. Fill in "lifts" of 12 inches or so and then resod.
Some I have seen on youtube bury the concrete. Then the "soggy back yard" post got me thinking. While burying the concrete would save on fill and haul off, I worry about settlement.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

What ever you do will settle unless you compact the fill every 12" or so as you fill it. If you are allowed to dunp the concrete in there, just don't pile it up and leave air gaps, spread them out and fill around them.

Back