Fill/seal hole in shower tile & backing board?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepper

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We've updated our old tub/shower enclosure to a walk-in shower. Unfortunately, the guy who did our tiling drilled the hole for the shower wand on the wrong side (by the door), so we have to fill the 1.25" hole and drill on one the other side.

Rather than digging out the whole 8x12" wall tile, my wife had the (great, I thought) idea of mounting a shower grab bar so one end covers the hole.

But I must still fill and seal the hole in the tile and the backing board behind it. My question is, what's the strongest, most water-blocking way to do that? Thanks!

(Full disclosure: I've asked this in the masonry forum too, as I'm not sure whose baliwick it really is.)

This is more of a plumbing issue so I removed the other thread which you posted in the masonry forum.

This is more of a plumbing issue so I removed the other thread which you posted in the masonry forum.

Sure... I just didn't know if this sort of thing actually came up for plumbers. I'm guessing maybe it doesn't, as no one has replied...?

I'm really in a spot. If you delete this thread too, is there another section of the forum where I can ask that may have more of a chance? I can try to find the answer elsewhere, but I've always trusted you guys the most. Thanks!

Unless I really wanted a grab bar in that location, I think I'd get the angle grinder out, cut the mortar joint and replace the tile.

Unless I really wanted a grab bar in that location, I think I'd get the angle grinder out, cut the mortar joint and replace the tile.

Yeah, that'd definitely be the dryest (though most difficult) solution, I agree.

Well, apparently this is more complex than I thought. So my wife and I have decided to go ahead and put the shower wand on the "wrong" side... It's not that big a deal. (It's just a shower, right?) I'm grateful for the chance to post here, though, as always. Cheers!

P.S.: What's a "reaction score"? Is there something I can do to make mine better?

Well, apparently this is more complex than I thought. So my wife and I have decided to go ahead and put the shower wand on the "wrong" side... It's not that big a deal. (It's just a shower, right?) I'm grateful for the chance to post here, though, as always. Cheers!

P.S.: What's a "reaction score"? Is there something I can do to make mine better?
You can bribe the officials with beer. No guarantee on improving your reaction score tho...😂

Latest posts

Back