Filling a hole in concrete floor

Help Support House Repair Talk:

slownsteady

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The original builders of this house must have embedded a 2x6 when they poured the basement floor of this house. So now i have a hole under one of my walls where the wood has finally rotted out. I want to fill this with a product that will expand slightly since I won't be able to see if I fill the hole completely. I was thinking hydraulic cement of some sort. What would be the right kind of mix to use here?

Oh yeah, two more things: I'm pretty sure it is a bearing wall, and I don't know yet how far this rot goes along the base. I will do this in sections.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Reaction score
Right before I went to the hospital I bought a box of Cement-All for fixing some similar places. I haven’t tried it yet but that’s what I think I would use.

slownsteady

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hole is about 5" deep. cement-all specs mention up to 4" Concrete mix may be a PITA because the opening into this is pretty small.

Does foam have enough strength for something like this?

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I would be afraid of foam absorbing moisture like a sponge and creating a primordial ooze.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Reaction score
Hole is about 5" deep. cement-all specs mention up to 4" Concrete mix may be a PITA because the opening into this is pretty small.
I wouldn’t worry about the 1 inch but if it’s a issue, stuff some used walmart bags in the bottom to fill up an inch.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
The floor was poured after the house was built. Instead of pouring a curb for the wall to sit on they set a 2x6 or 2 on the footing and built the wall.