Fireplace questions

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Bjw, Nov 15, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Nov 15, 2018 #1

Bjw

Bjw

Bjw

so my new home has a fireplace. It is brick and was wood burning but they added a gas line
    That you can light up . It hasnt been used in well over 10 years. I would love to throw some wood and light it up but anyway. I am going to have the chimney and everything inspected and cleaned before anything. My question is. I have a daughter and don’t want and open flame around. Also I want to be energy efficient. So should I just put a insurt in with the gass line already ran so it gives off heat but she won’t burn herself. Is there a cover I can get with tempered glass that will give out heat but won’t burn her to the touch. I am looking for most coast and energy efficient way to use the fireplace but safely with kids. I have been reading up but just wondering what some have done. Thank you

2. Nov 15, 2018 #2

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

People have been using open flame heaters since time began and had kids.
    Tell them no, it's hot, I've never once seen a child get burned twice.
    An open wood burning fireplace is the least efficient way to heat a home.
    It uses a lot of wood, acts like a hole in the roof when it's not heating, sucks make up air from the other rooms making them colder.
    A wood insert will make it far more efficient, but you would still have to deal with soot, and finding a source of wood, cutting splitting, trying to get a fire started, storing, carrying it into the house.
    With A direct vent gas fireplace you push a button and it's on and puts out real heat.

shan2themax and maxdad118 like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted