Fireplace questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjw

Reaction score
so my new home has a fireplace. It is brick and was wood burning but they added a gas line
That you can light up . It hasnt been used in well over 10 years. I would love to throw some wood and light it up but anyway. I am going to have the chimney and everything inspected and cleaned before anything. My question is. I have a daughter and don’t want and open flame around. Also I want to be energy efficient. So should I just put a insurt in with the gass line already ran so it gives off heat but she won’t burn herself. Is there a cover I can get with tempered glass that will give out heat but won’t burn her to the touch. I am looking for most coast and energy efficient way to use the fireplace but safely with kids. I have been reading up but just wondering what some have done. Thank you

People have been using open flame heaters since time began and had kids.
Tell them no, it's hot, I've never once seen a child get burned twice.
An open wood burning fireplace is the least efficient way to heat a home.
It uses a lot of wood, acts like a hole in the roof when it's not heating, sucks make up air from the other rooms making them colder.
A wood insert will make it far more efficient, but you would still have to deal with soot, and finding a source of wood, cutting splitting, trying to get a fire started, storing, carrying it into the house.
With A direct vent gas fireplace you push a button and it's on and puts out real heat.

Back