First attempt at building a rock wall.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

Looks like a beauty and the wall's not bad either, what are you using for filler.
Every hi-hoe up here has the claw for building walls, I have a nice one just out side my door but the gay filled it with dirt and the weed were to much toubkble so now it is just covered with ivy.

Using mortar for filler. Figured it will hold it together and keep weeds from growing.

Don't forget the drainage. They do lot up here filled with road much, dainage and no weeds to speak of. They do high retaining walls like this to, they use a heavy plastic called geo cloth or something to lock it all together with the fill behind it but never see morter.

We call geo cloth filter fabric and that is a good idea behind it. I may do that in future walls. I have to buy a large roll of it for a job next week.

Yes. Using 1/4 ton rip rap from a quarry down the street so it is native to my area.

I'm sure the native police will arrest him if he carried something other than that in Kommiefornia.

I can tell you that I am so very happy I own equipment. If not I would never be able to get it done. There is two of us working on it. My helper is probably about to quit.

I just hope they are worth it when I am done. I could have done s cinder block wall and been done yesterday.

No just about 6" of rock buried. My engineer is telling me it is not required with the rock. I may go deeper when I get to a wall taller than s couple feet.

I got the idea from the golf course I have been working on. There's are built the same way and have been standing for 96 years.

Back