First attempt at building a rock wall.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when is the golf course going to be installed? I'm gunna have to start practicing!

I have thought about a putting green but don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost.

Well, once you get old, you might just like that little putting green. Anso, you might consider installing a ball washer on site, since you never know how often your balls may drag in the dirt!

I have those lantanas at my havasu place and they look great as they cascade off the retaining wall. Great choice!

Great job Chris!

That was one hell of a lot of work even with equipment.
:beer:

It's not done yet. Still have to wrap a corner and go another 60 feet.

Then I have another about the same length but taller.

We have plenty here too. I just figure this is a good job for my employees between jobs.

One of my hero’s is a guy named Fred Birchmore who died at age 100 a couple years ago. He is best known for riding a bike around the world (1935) when he was a teen. It’s quite the story if you are so inclined to google his name.
http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2012-04-15/renowned-adventurer-fred-birchmore-dies-100

He started building a stone wall at age 70 and reading Chris thread made me think about Fred’s wall. I will attach a google link to some photos of the wall.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fre...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMImpKFq4TUyAIVQoI-Ch352QI4
If you ride bikes you will know term Fred is given to anyone with a clunky old bike with lots of crates attached to haul things. The term came from this Fred.

I might get a few hours today to work on my wall. It feels like it will be a lifelong project.

I might get a few hours today to work on my wall. It feels like it will be a lifelong project.

It might feel like a lifelong project but it will be standing for many lifetimes.
When I was in Italy I asked about the roofs as everything is tiled and I asked how long they last. The Italian guy I was with told me “last forever” I kind of laughed and said nothing last forever and he said come with me. We drove a short way and got out and he said here is a very old roof it was put on in the 5th century, over here are new roofs 8th century.

Your wall might make it forever also. Look at how old the rocks are you are starting with. :)

Not to bad, it's mostly DG. My immediate yard is all gravel which helps. It wouldn't get bad except running the tractors tears things up.

Back