First time homebuyer LP siding questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNbecky

Reaction score
After half heartedly house hunting, finally found a house that my husband and I both like. We took a long hard look at it this afternoon with our realtor, who informed us that the house was sided in LP T-11. She was not happy. I don't know the difference. We saw a couple of boards that looked a little swollen on the E and S sides of the house. The house was built in 1996. How long does siding generally last? Could this project wait? How much does it cost to reside a home? It's a two story, 1650 sq home? Is my realtor too concerned with resale value or is this house a potential lemon?

Becky first off welcome to House Repair Talk, my experience with T-111 is that it's just a little better than cardboard. When it absorbs moisture it will swell and disintegrate. Residing can be a pricey option down the road and cost will depend on the material you choose to install. Vinyl siding is your cheaper choice(plastic type material, low maintenance). Or you could go with Hardy Board or natural wood siding (both of which will require painting). These are all something you can do later and when your budget will allow. If you go this route, when the existing siding materials are removed make sure new house wrap is installed and all gaps are caulked or sealed.

Good luck with your house search, let us know what you decide.

T-111 lasts about the same length of time the coating on it lasts. If your paint/ stain is worn out (porous, cracked, chipping, pealing, etc.) that will let moisture in & the T-111 can't handle moisture for very long at all.

Back