fixer upper

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziedariana

Reaction score
Hi guys, I bought a fixer upper, and the first thing I wanted to do is tackle the wallpaper. I am new to home repair and learning as I go. The wallpaper is located in both the kitchen and the butler's pantry. I started on the butler's pantry I ripped off the vinyl then soaked the brown layer.. came off nice and clean..

My next move was to tackle the kitchen, and my oh my...I bit more than I could chew.. I repeated the same process only this time, some of the wallpaper have been applied on older wallpaper that was partly torn off. The rest of the wallpaper seems to have been applied on bare sheetrock, although I see some white residue when I was removing the brown layer. I spent an entire afternoon trying to remove the brown layer and the white substance by my finger nails hoping not to damage the drywall. I know I am missing something, and there has got to be a better way other than replacing the drywall...:eek:

I am attaching few pics in the hope that you can feel sorry for me and share the knoweldge... What is the white substance.. Is it primer ? paint ? GLUE ??? and what is the best way to go ?

Thanks guys..

KitchenRemodel 013.jpg

KitchenRemodel 011.jpg

KitchenRemodel 009.jpg

KitchenRemodel 010.jpg

Does the "the white stuff" get soft with water?

Not really... It's crumbly..some of it is stuck to the back of the wallpaper backing and starts peeling as I'm pulling off the backing away from the wall.

Last edited:
Keep pulling the wallpaper as you were doing, then use a drywall taping knife to knock all the loose stuff off, then refinish the drywall.

Seems you are dong the right thing, dont know anything to do but soak it and repeat.

Maybe it wont be too bad when you are finished!

good luck....gary

Last edited:
Back