Fixing Corner Where Drywall Ceiling Meets Walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeezix

Reaction score
I recently installed one of those pole-type shelves in a corner of my bathtub. It's the kind that mounts between the bathtub and the ceiling and that has three adjustable corner shelves on it. Well, I had too much pressure on it at first, and when I put the thing up it broke out a corner of the ceiling right where it meets the two adjacent walls. The broken piece is about one inch by two inches. The corner of the ceiling didn't break completely off though, so I put a 3-inch-square piece of vinyl tile up there to cover it, sealed the edges, painted it, reduced the spring pressure of the pole shelf, and put the pole shelf back in place.

20200509 Upstairs Bath Ceiling Damage.jpg

I'm no drywall expert and I am wondering how I can patch the partial hole without making too much of a mess. Can somebody give me a clue?

There just is no way to repair sheet rock and not make some mess.
I'd just leave it like you have it now, it's not doing any harm.

Can you provide a picture of the hole? The method of patching will depend on the size of the hole and if you want to retain the pole storage unit. That will require a more robust repair than just putting drywall compound in the hole. Size of the mess is relative. Do you have access to the area above from an attic? If you want to retain the pole unit I'd install blocking above the drywall to prevent the pole from breaking your repair.

I won't be getting a photo until I'm ready to get serious and actually do something about the hole. And yes, I can crawl my tired old bones into the attic! I hadn't even thought of that! Fifteen years ago I did it to install a can light above the tub. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Without seeing the hole... If you put a backer behind the patch, then used mesh tape and drywall compound you could probably fix this hole. With the backer the pole shouldn't break open the patch assuming it is solid. Provided you don't go hog wild on the compound it shouldn't be too messy.

Latest posts

Back