Fixing pump/pressure tank system for well- best way?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was showing as $190 when I loaded it before, but I just refreshed and now it says $179.

Good questions, 68bucks. There's an FAQ forum for them at Frequently Asked Questions

I do know that currently when I flush the toilet & wash my hands the pulley wheel pump will run for a few minutes afterward even though not that much water was drawn out. I can hear it running from the kitchen window, sliding glass door, and back door. It's very loud. The jet pump isn't nearly as loud- sounds somewhat like my washing machine- a low hum. Other pump has a higher pitched loud sound mixed in. If my FB messenger app wasn't being a pita, I'd load a video where you can hear the pulley wheel pump going.

Zannej... if you live anywhere within a 200 mile radius of Southern Nevada, I would love to take a road trip ( even with these gas prices) and see this setup. I’m only an Mechanical Engineer, but have done my share of plumbing repairs and even whole house replacement... I’ve been trying to follow this since the day you first posted the issue, and I still can’t wrap my head around it... sitting here now, I’m not even sure I know what the problem is...

@zannej I have never experienced PVC breakage. I used PVC for all other than brass bodied pressure switch/gauge assy. Be sure pressure tank is solidly supported and use PVC slip (glued) fittings where possible as threads are usually where leaks and breakage occur. My ball shut-offs are also slip, replacement would be a little more work but they are now 15-20 years old w/no replacements.

@zannej I have never experienced PVC breakage. I used PVC for all other than brass bodied pressure switch/gauge assy. Be sure pressure tank is solidly supported and use PVC slip (glued) fittings where possible as threads are usually where leaks and breakage occur. My ball shut-offs are also slip, replacement would be a little more work but they are now 15-20 years old w/no replacements.

EDDIE_T... You must not live where it freezes in the winter...

I've had a lot of PVC break outside. Some if it from getting brittle from sun exposure (before we found out it needed to be covered) and some from rare freezes (when we first moved in it almost never got below freezing but that has changed in the last few years). Our a-hole horse deliberately broke a bunch of things. He got mad one day that his water trough was empty so he grabbed a PVC pipe with a hose bibb, broke it off, then started swinging it at a goat to beat the goat with it. He also stomped all over the underground lines deliberately to break them (sadly, Dad didn't bury them deep enough as he hadn't anticipated the horse stomping them). He was a smart horse but had a bad temper & was very mischievous. There was also a time I tripped in the shed and fell on the pipes & broke some. That wasn't a fun experience. Broke the pipe coming out of the cistern right after the shutoff. I felt like a total doof.

The main problem I had with the PVC in the well system was not cold but heat and vibrations. The male threaded PVC sort of melted and broke inside the jet pump's inlet. I was told by pump experts that it's not good to have PVC going directly in to the pump. I need to put some sort of anti-vibration pads under it when I do the new setup and both inlet and outlet will be threaded stainless steel.

I went with threaded ball valves so that I can unthread them from any broken stuff that was solvent welded.

So have you talked to anyone about getting rid of the compressor for your water. Compressed air is expensive to make from an energy perspective. Is the well bore too small for a submersible or a jet? If there is a sulfur or other dissolved gas issue I can understand using the air to strip it but there might be a better way. Based on all the posts here I think I see how the system works but it sure seems inefficient if I'm understanding it correctly. Two pumps would be better that compressed air.

68bucks, Yes, I have tried, but the well system business is scarce these days. There's only one guy who will come out to our are and he said he has no clue how to replace the system. I asked him about upgrades to solenoid valve, more efficient pumping in to cistern, etc & he said he didn't know how to do it. He got grandfathered in to the system bc his father installed and repaired well systems & he was the apprentice. I have tried to find other people, but the refuse to come out here.

I managed to upload a short video that has the sound (but not footage) of the pulley wheel pump. The cow piped in at one point. LOL. I was looking for leaks but was having trouble seeing so I used the camera to film.

In my state every county has an agricultural extension agent. If your parish has an office they are a pretty good source of information and might have some info on the why of your water system.

So have you talked to anyone about getting rid of the compressor for your water.

I think submerged pumps need a minimum 4" or 5" well pipe to go down into... and looks like he has 2" pipe...
Before electricity was available in his area, the air compressor my have been driven by a hand crank or gasoline engine... or both at different times... or maybe just a suction hand pump at first...
When I grew up in 1950's we had a hand pump out in the front yard... some of our relatives hand the luxury of a hand pump indoors on the kitchen side board (now called a countertop, but just boards back then)...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fd/99/8b/fd998b3f19406b766da0d53611f9515a.jpg

I think submerged pumps need a minimum 4" or 5" well pipe to go down into... and looks like he has 2" pipe..
I was sort of thinking it could be a small well bore based on that pipe in the pic. I changed the pump in my first house from a jet to a submersible. I believe it need a 4" pipe. A jet will fit a lot smaller though, not sure what the minimum is though.

It's definitely around 2". So I don't think anything large could fit in it. Unless it completely breaks down, I'm not going to mess with it.

As an update, it seems the pressure tank has blown. The switch was rapid-cycling, the wires had come loose from the switch. The PSI in the tank was 0. I put air in it and the pump rapid cycled and then a pipe came apart, blasted water backwards from the pressure tank and out on to the switch. Replaced the switch, wires are tightened, and put more air back in the pressure tank. Bought a new pressure tank but will need to install it. The doors came off the shed and none of the outlets inside work so can't plug any heaters in there. Roof leaks too. Need to seal the roof better, get the outlets fixed, and put a heater in. We tried hanging blankets and reflectix over the doors but the cows knocked it all down.

I have an antifatigue mat that broke into 3 pieces. I think I will put that under the pump when we go to replace the pressure tank. Will get it raised up a little more, put in some PEX to add more flexibility to stuff, and replace the galvanized steel with stainless steel.

Awhile back I tripped and fell on some of the PVC pipes and they snapped so I had to get them replaced. I don't have the hand strength to operate the pex cinch tool so my friend helped out. A whole section going to multiple areas broke so this is what it looks like now:
The part with clear tape no longer has the tape. It blew apart bc the tape wouldn't hold, but it was a temporary thing to hold the pipes together. The galvanized is on the outlet side of the pump. The pressure gauge is ancient and no longer works. Pipes going into the pump are 1-1/4". I believe the ones coming out are 1" and then transition down to 3/4" and then back up to 1" for the pressure tank and then back to 3/4" for the rest. I believe the black shutoffs are from the broken stuff and are just sitting on the ground.
1705189474036.png
1705189103473.png
1705188881694.png
1705189256732.png
elbow going to the pressure tank
1705189329035.png
The float switch for the pump kept getting stuck so we had to rig this up to prevent it
1705189632305.png
The cover would not fit back on so I need to cover it with something still.

Back