Flex seal crack in water feature

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffy

Reaction score
Trying to fix a crack in a outside water fixture with flex seal. Have any of you guys tried this product before and had any luck with it? I followed the directions, I've got one coat on. Now the directions say to wait 24-48 hours between coats and i am doing 3 coats inside and out. Do you think this will work? I 'm using the paint on rubberized type.

Last edited:
About 3 months ago I used flex seal as a coating on a chairs armrest that the original coating peeled off. I thoroughly cleaned the area and applied the flex seal ,waited 48 hours between each coat and applied 3 coats. It was still tacky after about a month , so I contacted the company and they said to wash it off with dishwasher detergent and follow it up with a citrus cleaner. Then reapply.That seemed to be too big a deal so I put the chair aside and decided to wait it out. now after reading your post, I went out to the chair and checked to see if it ever dried. Well, its almost dry but still a little tacky, so draw your own conclusions

It should work OK as that probably isn't a high pressure line.

Will it work? It's anyone guess.
What prep work was done?
If I was going to try it I would have scrubbed it down with bleach and water, sanded with course sandpaper, cleaned it again then applied it.

I also used Flex Seal and it takes a very long time to dry. I used it on my water line or copper line and it didn't work. I had a pen hole leak and not even JB water weld would work on it. I also tried using it on my faucet that had a leak and JB water weld would not work on it either.

The key to sealing anything is making sure the sealant has good 'bite' on the part being sealed. Metals like copper, steel, and aluminum must be burnished (wire brush or sanding) to expose clear and clean metal. Roughness will allow the sealer better grip. I've not used flex-seal and likely won't given it's price. I use caulkings for situations that might flex and JB weld when there won't be any flexing, and it's never failed me. It won't hold up under a lot of pressure though. Hot-melt glue might be another option but it can soften in hot summer sunlight and heat.

Latest posts

Back