flickering and brown outs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmars

Reaction score
This is in my home and none of my neighbors have this issue. Two of us get power from the same wire coming from one electrical pole. He says he don't have this issue either, but I must consider that maybe he just don't notice.

Occasionally (like once or a few times a day) lights flicker and/or go dim for one to a few seconds. It might happen once or repeat itself once or twice after the span of 5 or so minutes. Then it might not happen again for hours or until the next day. The filament bulbs are the only ones to dim. The LED and fluorescent will flicker, but not dim. I think that is because of the bulb's circuit capacitance.

The vent fan in the bath will audibly slow on occasion for a few seconds. Nothing else in house appears to be effected, but that might be because most other things here (like computers) have internal regulated power supplies to safeguard against this. Maybe it would occur with my blender, but i just haven't used it at the right time.

Ive confirmed that this occurs on four different electrical circuits. It was noticed one two, then I left the lights turned on for two more electrical circuits for the last two weeks and noticed occasional flickering in those circuits too. Both had fluorescent, so I swapped with filament and now I see flickering and brownouts, all just lasting 1 to a few seconds.

Everything in the circuit box looks good and feels tight.

I have my DVM left plugged into an electrical outlet, but I never get there fast enough to see the brown out voltage.

Ideas?

tks,
pa

Sounds as though you have a loose or incorrectly assembled neutral, in a junction box or receptacle. So, to start, you'll need to identify which breakers feed what.

Hi, start by calling the POCO and have check their connections, does it happen at any particular time or schedule?

called power company yesterday. they got here in 30 minutes. although they didn't tell us or tell us they were going to cut power. Which i expect they would need to, but it would have been nice to tell us. I looked and saw them working on pole. 30 minutes later it was back on for 10 minutes, then off again for another 20. After it come on again, I noticed power truck was gone. I looked and see that s/he also did work in the meter box on house. No flickering since, bu it's really too early to be sure it solved. I expected pwr co would call me or something to tell me its done, but so far no word.

Whenever someone turns on something that uses a lot of power, it takes the power transformer outside on the pole a moment to adjust to the new power requirements. Also, to save money, they use heavy aluminum wires outside instead of copper but the connections to aluminum can corrode over time blocking some power. Your neighbor may have been using large amounts of power for something. The power company would know that from their billing records. Or, over time, maybe too many homes had been added to one power transformer outside. Maybe the power transformer was worn out. Hope they found and fixed the problem. Are you reading slightly higher voltages all the time now?

Back