Flipped house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna0703

Reaction score
We recently moved into a house built in 1980 but was renovated by an investment company. They did a beautiful job and everything passed inspection but we have lived here a month now and I have noticed some red flags. The counters in the kitchen are not the same height on either side of the stove. The floors have disconnected from the wall and I recaulked but it disconnected again. I believe there used to be a wall where they separate and they removed it in the renovation. They put new door frames and doors everywhere but the upstairs doors stick. Should I be concerned or am I just being paranoid?

Welcome.
Was the purchase conventional, or VA or FHA?

Your first red flag should have been this was done by an "investment company" there going to do this as fast and cheapest as possible to make the most money!

These are my concerns. They did a beautiful job with the renovation. Replaced the roof, quartz on all the counters, replaced the hvac system. There’s no cracks in the foundation unless they replanted them.

If there was ever a foundation issue, would the seller have to disclose this?

First, i dont know many (if anyone) that caulks between the baseboards and the floor. Typically people use base shoe or quarter round... If they had used either of those, you would never have noticed that separation.

Do the floors bounce or flex while you walk on them? They may have removed a load bearing wall underneath, but the only way to tell as to how they modified the structure to support the load is to rip open the ceiling beneath it.

First, i dont know many (if anyone) that caulks between the baseboards and the floor. Typically people use base shoe or quarter round... If they had used either of those, you would never have noticed that separation.

Do the floors bounce or flex while you walk on them? They may have removed a load bearing wall underneath, but the only way to tell as to how they modified the structure to support the load is to rip open the ceiling beneath it.

They did not use a base shoe or quarter rounding anywhere in the house. However, I think there was a change to the structure where the floor and wall separate. Either a doorway was taken away or a wall was added. This is the only spot in the house where it separates but it does bounce in that spot.

It was a conventional loan. We did our own inspection and he was a professional. The floor only separates when you put weight on it and so I didn’t notice until I put furniture there. It’s in a corner so I’m not surprised the inspector missed it. However, I am surprised he missed the sticking doors upstairs.

Thanks.
In that case, and if the sales contract was not reviewed by an attny, it's pretty much like buying a used car. What you see is what you get.

Sticking doors would have been on "your list" and not the inspectors, except as a casual mention, and are generalized as aesthetics.

How much time did the inspector spend under the house or under the floor in the basement. The problem could be as minor as some additional blocking or as serious as rotted or termite damaged floor joists.

Couldn't sticking doors be evidence of the house settling unevenly?

One question is, are the doors that stick all oriented the same direction when they're in their "closed" position?

One question is, are the doors that stick all oriented the same direction when they're in their "closed" position?

The two doors that stick are opposite each other in the hallway so I don’t think they are oriented in the same direction. The door right next to the sticking door doesn’t stick at all. If that makes sense. I’ll post a picture.

Back