Floating Bamboo floor installation in kitchen

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll give that a shot. I'll have plenty of leftover from the 72" transition piece I bought for another spot.

I'll give that a shot. I'll have plenty of leftover from the 72" transition piece I bought for another spot.

You will want to return it to the wall, I would cut those 45* first and just glue that together with tape, they you can install it as a unit.

I will never use bamboo again, PARTICULARLY in a water environment. It stains rapidly, curls, scratches and warps beyond belief. Have worked on a restaurant where the entire dining area is destroyed in less than two years.

We just finished a flood repair where the old parquet had to be pulled out of a condo. Replacement wood tiles are more expensive than new so the owner chose to re-do everything. The choice was engineered T&G hardwood glue down. I won't bore you with every picture of the demolition, leveling and installation. However, the finished product was laid from one wall and baseboard and/or shoe base finished the edges. With glue, the product movement is minimized. Sound attenuation is excellent.

The product was on sale but they get you on the glue .... $270 a can for 4 gallons. Took 2 1/2 cans so do the math. The installation was complicated because the space was cut up with cabinets, a large central cabinet, a hallway and a laundry area. Nevertheless, the appliances were removed then replaced after the flooring was done. Obviously, the kitchen cabinets remained in place.

STARTER.jpg

DINING.jpg

HALLWAY.jpg

LAUNDRY.jpg

This is 1/2" thick solid bamboo, so it's about as dense and hard as hardwood gets. I'm not too concerned about durability, but I guess I'll see. This is not bamboo laminated to other material, which probably wouldn't be all that durable.

The install went quick and easy this past Saturday. I left a 1/2" gap on every wall, which will be covered by cabinets and baseboard/shoe. I did not glue the joints after discussing it more with a flooring installer I know. I used a 2mm foil faced foam underlayment. It looks and feels great. I immediately put the fridge and range back in place. So far everything seems great with the floor. The only issue I had was trying to put finishing nails in the transition piece. I glued it and tried to shoot brad nails in, but they curled up and shot across the room. The flooring really is that hard I suppose. There's a creaking noise if I step on that piece, but I'll figure something out.

The one problem I have is the height of the floor in relation to the exterior door. This floor replaced very thin vinyl tile. The plastic weather strip on the bottom of the fiberglass, pre-hung door catches on the floor, leaving no room for a rug at the entrance. The only solution I can think of is to remove the entire pre-hung unit and shim it up 1/4" or so. The exterior is vinyl, so I can easily trim that to move it up. It seems like a lot of work, but I can't think of any other solutions. I knew the height would create an issue, I just didn't know it would be this tight.

Check the lumber yard for a weather strip for the outside, aluminum with a rubber strip against the door. and take the sweep off the door.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I know what you're talking about and I'll look into that.

I agree about the flooring/cabinetry replacement issue, I wouldn't want to have to rip apart my whole kitchen just to re-do the floors.

As far as the cork underlayment goes, you can place floating bamboo floors over almost any surface, so I wouldn't think about that aspect too much. If it were up to me, I'd go with whatever would make ripping it up and putting a new floor in easiest, but I plan to stay in my home until I'm in the ground, so that might only apply to me.

This article explains more in-depth: https://www.ambientbp.com/blog/the-pros-and-cons-of-bamboo-floating-flooring

Back