Floor smells 2 years later

Help Support House Repair Talk:

biddlecom

Reaction score
Hello, I sanded and redid our hardwood floors with fast or super fast dry minwax oil poly 2 1/2 years ago. I noticed a smell in one of the bedrooms and after a long investigation I concluded it's the floor. Still has that poly smell to it. The rest of the house doesn't have that smell only this room. We did have a small rug on the floor that was placed on the floor a while after it was dried. Maybe that has something to do with it. Anyways my question is are the VOCs still harmful 2 years later? Should I get an air test? How do I eliminate the odor? The odor isn't strong but it's drffiently there. I slept in the room for about a week and didn't have any symptoms. Is there a way to seal it and eliminating all odors? In a bit worried because its my toddlers bedroom. Also the windows have been opened all summer the last two years and we have a austin air purifier that's been on 24/7 for 1 year or so, so we get lots of ventilation.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It should have dried by now. That’s the reason I used water based it was good to go in no time.

All I can say is get good air movement and heat.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the smell if it is barely there.

Maybe someone else knows a good trick.

slownsteady

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If you can't find a spot where the poly is soft or tacky, I'm gonna wager that it's not the poly that smells.