Floor smells 2 years later

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by biddlecom, Oct 5, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 5, 2018 #1

biddlecom

biddlecom

biddlecom

Hello, I sanded and redid our hardwood floors with fast or super fast dry minwax oil poly 2 1/2 years ago. I noticed a smell in one of the bedrooms and after a long investigation I concluded it's the floor. Still has that poly smell to it. The rest of the house doesn't have that smell only this room. We did have a small rug on the floor that was placed on the floor a while after it was dried. Maybe that has something to do with it. Anyways my question is are the VOCs still harmful 2 years later? Should I get an air test? How do I eliminate the odor? The odor isn't strong but it's drffiently there. I slept in the room for about a week and didn't have any symptoms. Is there a way to seal it and eliminating all odors? In a bit worried because its my toddlers bedroom. Also the windows have been opened all summer the last two years and we have a austin air purifier that's been on 24/7 for 1 year or so, so we get lots of ventilation.

2. Oct 6, 2018 #2

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

It should have dried by now. That’s the reason I used water based it was good to go in no time.

All I can say is get good air movement and heat.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the smell if it is barely there.

Maybe someone else knows a good trick.

3. Oct 6, 2018 #3

mabloodhound

mabloodhound

mabloodhound

Restoration & Renovations

Go over it with water based poly.

4. Oct 7, 2018 #4

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

If you can't find a spot where the poly is soft or tacky, I'm gonna wager that it's not the poly that smells.