Flooring and bathtub installing

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by mart4396, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1

mart4396

mart4396

mart4396

I am moving into my new house and I am redoing my bathroom completely. The floors is carpet and my wife and I want it out now. I have a bath tub that is surrounded by walls on all 3 sides. We plan on getting a new tub but not sure how soon.

Would it be a bad idea to put new flooring in and replace the tub at a later date?

I just joined the forum and I am really enjoying it.

Thanks

2. Apr 20, 2008 #2

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

Bathroom remodel, that's gonna cost you one day without a bath.
    My advice is to remove the tub now, and get one that fits through the door. Many folks have used tubs for sale on craigslist because they did not think of this issue. If it is a cast iron tub, you can remove it with a sledgehammer. Cover it with wet towels and bang away, it will break up. Wear eye protection and good gloves, the porcelain cover will shatter. Trust me, this is the easiest way. Then install your new tub and change any fixtures and diverter valves in the walls at this time.
    Then finish your floor. If you plan on changing the sink and any cabinets...now is also the time. The commode can be done anytime.
    Good luck.

3. Apr 20, 2008 #3

guyod

guyod

guyod

If you do plan on waiting tile is a good choice of flooring because you can add more tile if your new tub does not fit the same as the old.

what is the reason you want a new tub for? tub liners or an epoxy paint job can make just about any tub look new.

4. Apr 20, 2008 #4

latile

latile

latile

Flooring Supply Shop

There is a company I use here in L.A in less then an hour the re glaze a bathtub, look just like a brand new, and the not that expensive ( apex $200.00) considering the demolition and installation of a new bath with the added cost of new bath tub.
    Check in your area for re glazing contractor

I fund this link for you on Google, never use them or talk to them, this is just to give you an idea
    reglaze contractors

Good luck

5. Apr 21, 2008 #5

cibula11

cibula11

cibula11

It's your bathroom. It wouldn't be the end of the world if you decided to replace later. Maybe some extra work, but not impossible. I had a yellow tub that I bought a tub and tile paint kit for. It looks nice and was much cheaper then having to replace the whole thing. IF you have the $ to get a new tub, fine, but if not there are other options.

6. Apr 23, 2008 #6

Daryl in Nanoose

Daryl in Nanoose

Daryl in Nanoose

Welcome mart4396, It really depends on what kind of flooring your going with Will the new tub cover what your putting down or will it fall short, will you be able to add to the floor if needed with a perfect matchup.
    As glenn said it's always best to take everything out when completely renovating a bathroom.
    If you have any pictures post them so we can take a better look.