Fluorescent Light Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete491

Reaction score
Guys,

I was replacing the 48" fluorescent light in our kitchen this morning and broke two of the end sockets. No problem, I went down to the hardware store and bought a couple. I installed everything the way I thought it was before but the light does not work. Not at all.

I suspect I didn’t put everything back together as it was. Unfortunately I removed the wires that went into the sockets and didn’t note which holes they went into. The two blue went into one and the two red into the other. Each socked has four holes. Also I didn’t note which side of the fixture the two sockets go.

Yes, I'm not very handy.

So, does it matter which holes the two red and two blue go? Does it matter which side of the fixture the two sockets go?

Thanks!

The ballast should have a drawing of how to wire it pasted on it. Use that as your guide.
The sockets should be made so that the two holes on the right connect to the right contact and the two holes on the left connect to the left contact.

I just had the same problem and am feeling so lucky that I got the answer right here. Thank you Pete for asking the question and also thank Joe for answering. Excellent community!

Back