foam insulation in my crawl space

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joec

Reaction score
I am getting quotes on having my crawl space redone using foam instead of the fiberglass that is there now. The first guy wants to spray foam over the exterior walls sealing everything from the exterior band, down to dirt. Then they would cover the ground with a moisture barrier. I was assuming we would spray the foam in between the joists, but his way seems to be the most common method. As I have a very tall crawlspace on the backside of my house, I use this for lawnmowers etc and hate to lose it for storage. I realize spraying between the joist makes future repairs problematic. Any opinions or advice appreciated. BTW, I am in coastal NC and have moderate weather, but it still gets cold and hot seasonally.

Are you prepared to condition the space after it is insulated. Do your homework.
That is what I am doing here and elsewhere. It looks like a dehumidifier may be needed, but not sure now. I do not have a moisture problem, but will do what is necessary.

That is what I am doing here and elsewhere. It looks like a dehumidifier may be needed, but not sure now. I do not have a moisture problem, but will do what is necessary.

Whether you have vents or have it encapsulated the most important thing that has to be done is great the drainage fixed cover the dirt and seal that and the first thing people want to sell you is encapsulation.

It might be a good thing but I don't like the sales pitch.

Back