Foam Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biddlecom

Reaction score
I used GREAT STUFF Gaps & Cracks filler to fill in the bigger expose sides of my new replacement window. I was told I should have used GREAT STUFF windows & Doors. Is there a big difference between the two. Should I take my window out and scrap the foam off and put the window back in and use the window and doors foam?

Well, living in Maine I can see why you would be worried ... Just call the MFGR and ask them. They are owned by DOW Chemical, so they probably have excellent customer support:

Call 1-866-583-BLUE (2583).

foamexplosion.jpg

I think you will be fine just leave it alone. If it swelled up it's good. :)

Only differences are cure time and expansion (or effective R value). The lower the R value the less insulation, the more expansion the lower the R value in the same space. I've spent ALOT of time learning about this. 3M won't REALLY help you figure out what you need and they'll disclaim the hell out of it, but you can use the 40% expansion and get >R6 in one inch which isn't too bad. There are some good $100 2 part foams that are very low expansion but expensive and harder to use.

Back