Follow-up to bathroom fan question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejurasw

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to ask a follow up question to a thread I posted about a week ago, now that I know more. I'm helping install a Home NetWerks fan/light/bluetooth combo bath fan. The wiring where it will be installed is too busy to make it something I want to tackle (not my strong suit), but I agreed to help get it mounted into place and run the vent, etc.
This unit comes with a switch for fan or light, and requires another red wire to bring juice from the line (not gonna mess with that), to the quick connects. The homeowner asked if I could temporarily wire it for all-on or all-off, using the existing single-pole switch, until he can get an electrician.
My question: if I just do hot to black and neutral to white on the quick-connects (leaving the red fan connect dangling) will it also power the fan?
Or: can I make a pigtail up by the fan using the house black power and two jumpers? One to the light (black) and one to the fan (red)?
Thanks, as always for the advice!
M. Miller

You can do the "or" option, however, in the mean time, tell us about the screws and/or pigtails on the switch, please.

My question: if I just do hot to black and neutral to white on the quick-connects (leaving the red fan connect dangling) will it also power the fan? NO
Or: can I make a pigtail up by the fan using the house black power and two jumpers? YES
One to the light (black) and one to the fan (red)? YES

Thanks, guys. Ok, so the switch seems to be the end of the line. Just a single pole switch with a hot, neut. and a ground. It controls the ceiling box as well as a soffit light further down the line. But the box in the ceiling has the hot and neutral for the ceiling fixture as well as big pigtails (the black wire nuts!) of at least three wires each. I'm guessing other stuff is passing through on its way somewhere.
Regarding the original question, looks like I'm doing the "or" option!
MM

The question RE: the switch, is not of the single pole, but of the switch for the new fan/light.

Back