For What Its Worth

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldognewtrick

In memory of
Reaction score
Turned 59 end of feb and I really havent felt "good" for the last, well.. while. So I thought, with the peir pressure of a few friends, to get a physical. I haven't had a physical since 2000. Never sick, why see the DR. After all the proding, poking, envading and drawing of bodily fluids, looks like all I really needed was a little more excerise. Bad colestoral, HIGH. Good colestoral low, Doc says 30-45 min a day cardio excerise. Spousal unit thinks a membership in a gym is perfect B'day present. Well kiss my southern fried grits why do I want a danged gym membership...fast forward 3 weeks, after spending 1 hour a day on the tread mill I feel better than I have in a few. Started light lifting to tone. Wifes been going with me and we are looking at friuts for snacks instead of the half bag of double stuff Oreos in the middle of the nite.

So, what does this have to do with Home Improvement? Well, why take care of our house if we don't take care of our selves, we have to be around to care for our loved ones. If you, as I, haven't made an effort to get checked up lately, then I urge you to go see the Dr.

1 thing I've learned in life.. getting old isn't for sissys.

No problem: you've got 22 years to sort this all out.
Actuarial Life Table
assuming your
Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator
is reasonable.

Since Nov. of 2006 I've worked out.
My strength has increased 1%/week but I have to do more cardio, such that I would burn about as much as I would in twelve rounds of boxing. I did the rope skipping thing but my feet objected so now I'm on the elliptical machine. Currently, 2 hrs/session, 15x per month, weights plus cardio.

On the cholesterol, I couldn't tolerate Lipitor or Zocor so now I'm going to try Niaspan.
In Germany my lipid levels would not be of concern, so I have to wonder how much of this 'health risk' is driven by $.

Last edited:
I wish I had a nickle for every exercise machine or home gym that's sitting in someone's basement or closet or garage collecting dust.

In order to STAY healthy, you have to find an exercise you ENJOY doing. You're never going to keep up an excercise program you dread.

Why don't you buy a pair of bicycles so that you and your wife can go on bike rides to a distant park or coffee shop every Saturday morning? Why not buy a single bag of golf clubs and learn to golf together on Sundays?

Both walking and bike riding are excellent exercises because they use the largest muscles in your body, which burn the most fat when exercised, and yet that exercise seems easy because you're using your biggest muscles to do all the work.

Believe it or not, riding a bike burns more calories than peddling the same amount on a stationary bicycle. The reason why is because there are hundreds of small muscles in your body that are continuously changing your body's position to maintain balance on a real bicycle. You're not aware of it happening because those small muscles are co-ordinated by your spine, not your brain. Your brain simply tells your spine to balance your body on the bicycle, and it happens. Your brain then concerns itself with the more difficult problems, like steering and deciding how to get where you're wanting to go.

Similarily, you burn a lot more calories riding a horse than you do sitting in a chair. You're not aware that your spine is continually maintaining your body's upright position while riding a horse. All the muscles that do that don't do any work when you're sitting in a chair.

Drop into your local second hand sports shop and get a pair of tennis rackets and learn how to return a tennis ball together. (You'll find that as your health improves, your play will become more active and aggressive too.)

So, the message here is to do things you like to do. All of them will be healthier for you than laying on the couch watching TV.

Last edited:
Nestor, you make good points, thats why we are going to a gym. No investment in machines that sit in the basement and get cloths hung on them. On the tread mills they have TV's connected to cable and we just got back from the gym and watched the 1st period of Blackhawk-Capitals Hockey. I also like using the weights and gave up my golf addiction some 20 years ago. In fact I just gave away my last set of clubs to my son-in-law.

My bride just came over and told me that "although I B---- while we are there I feel so much better when we get home." Guess we are both getting benefit of my B'day present. Side benefit is watching all the really hot females bouncing around. Ahhh to be 20 years old again....

Oldog/Newtrick:

Personally, I think you should explain to your wife that fitness comes from being active doing the things you like to do, not from pumping iron. (Unless, of course, you really like pumping iron.) Gardening is something my mother likes to do, and that keeps her active planting flowers (and pulling them up in the fall) at my two sister's houses and the planter in my building.

Buy a metal detector kit online, build it, and scour your local beaches! The long walks on soft sand is great exercise, and you don't even know you're doing it. Fly a kite at your local park. Even the walking you do to retrieve the kite when it goes down and the little bit of running you do to get it back up is more than you'd do at home watching TV. (And you'll be amazed at how many 10 year olds will come to help with the running part.) Buy a bike rack for your car and ride around your local park on Sundays (cuz bikes really shouldn't be in busy traffic). Go out in a canoe! (You get a lot of "balance" exercise in a canoe, and paddling is great exercise.)

Once your gym membership is over, just do things you enjoy doing and you'll find almost all of them are great exercise too.

You've got a wife/dance partner. Join a square dance troup. Here in Winnipeg, where the cold winter puts a damper on most outdoor activities in winter, both ballroom dancing and bowling are very popular. Join a bowling league, or find out where the local dance schools and dance instructors are. Almost all of them will teach ballroom dancing because all other forms of dance originates from formal dance instruction in the classical ballroom dances.

Go hunting. Just make sure that it involves a lot of walking.

It's the sitting around watching TV that kills you. Just finding new and interesting things to do is what keeps you active and your mind and body healthy.

Learn to juggle. Discover yoga. Become one with Tai Chi.

Last edited:
Oldog/Newtrick:

Personally, I think you should explain to your wife that fitness comes from being active

Fly a kite at your local park. QUOTE]

Well I don't think the translation from Canadian to American English was not received well. She muttered something as she stormed off down the hall. Heard something about someone kissing But thats all I heard:rofl:

No, I wasn't telling her to "go fly a kite".

I'm just thinking that if you look in your Yellow Pages under "Associations", "Clubs" and "Organizations", you'll find all kinds of different activities that people get involved in. It's true that most of them aren't going to build muscle mass like attendance at a gym will, but most of them will keep you active in one way or another. Just find something you like that keeps you physically active, and you've got cholesterol licked.

When I was growing up, my dad was actively involved in our local church, and he got a fair bit of exercise just setting up the local church hall every Saturday afternoon for Bingo and then manning the concession booth to sell coffee, chocolate bars and soft drinks during the Bingo. Or, walking around and checking cards whenever anyone called "Bingo". Then, the following Sunday morning, him and a half dozen other men would take everything from bingo down and set up a corner of the hall for the kid's Sunday school. To him, it was mostly a social group where he could help out the church, but it was also a lot of physical activity.

Anyhow, you understand my point. Good health begins by getting out of the house, not necessarily by going to a gym.

Last edited:
Oldog/Newtrick:

Personally, I think you should explain to your wife that fitness comes from being active

Fly a kite at your local park. QUOTE]

Well I don't think the translation from Canadian to American English was not received well. She muttered something as she stormed off down the hall. Heard something about someone kissing But thats all I heard:rofl:

Lesson learned I hope?

Lesson learned I hope?

Tx, if I changed now she would wonder what the heck was going on.

Never a dull moment around the ol' dog house.

Nestor, I think you missed the point of my post, I wasn't really trying to promote the value of fitness centers but urging others to take the time to go get checked up at the Dr. office if they have been postponing it.

See what 3 weeks at the gym does for ya?

overthetop.jpg

Oldog/Newtrick: I thought you were pushing the benefits of pumping iron.

I've always felt that the best exercise is the one you stick with. Golf is really just a walk in the park, but if people stick with it, it does them much more good than chalking up miles on a treadmill for a few weeks, and then bannishing the treadmill to a closet in the basement.

I'm not sure that there are more cancers than there were several decades ago. I'm half convinced that the tools for finding cancers have gotten so much better that we're just finding more and more smaller and smaller cancers in people. For all we know, tiny cancerous growths and tumors may be completely normal in people. We just don't have the history to know whether tiny cancers grow or die of their own accord. All we really know is that we're better able to find smaller and smaller cancers nowadays.

You could be governor of CA; I think Ahhhnnold is gettin' tired of the job.

Do you have any idea what those steroids are gonna do to your little black bag??
Geez, a guy wears one comfortable hat ,which reminds me.. I need to find my green hat for tommorrow.

That picture is a fake, right? If not, I doubt that the guy can move.

Last edited:
You think that guy is ripped? You ain't seen nuthin.

Check out this Holstein!

belgian-blue-cow-steroid-super-cow-450x337.jpg

In a bare knuckle fight with your pretty boy, my money would be on the Holstein.

I was at the State Fair this weekend and they were showing some the most massive steers I have ever seen. Impressive those show steers. Normal ones don't get nearly that size.

Yeah, most of them would be smaller than Bodacious:

bodacious1.gif

Bodacious ended the career of several bull riders on the rodeo circuit. One time he kicked and raised a rider up in the air and then shot his head back hard to smash all the bones in the rider's face. Bull riders started wearing hockey helmets to protect their face and heads after that.

bodacious.jpg

Bullriding has to be the most dangerous (and probably dumbest) sport. "Here kid, go climb up on that ton of muscle, jab him in the ribs real hard and if he doesn't kill you, we'll pay you $10,000."

http://www.sharkonline.org/?P=0000000439

Last edited:
I like it. "Here's a hard chunk of rubber now run out there on that frozen lake and thwack it with this stick and try not to let the other guys punch you in the mouth or stab you with their skates, just to knock it into a net on the other side of the lake." Everything sounds stupid when you put it that way.
"Just force a contraction of your diaphragm in order to fill your lungs with air,you're doing it, so that you can continue to live." See.

Back