Foundation Issues?

Discussion in 'Framing and Foundation' started by Sheraz, Dec 22, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Dec 22, 2018 #1

Sheraz

Sheraz

Sheraz

I am noticing something with my house. It is an old house build in 1982 and we moved in last year. Just for last few months I am noticing few things and wondering if there are any foundation issues with the house. The house is two story and every where I step whether wooden floor or carpet, I feel that the floor is not level. I used leveler on wooden floor and I do see that it is bit sagged down in different places. The wooden floor seems be also expanding in some places. Baseboard trim is getting separated from walls in quite a few places. There seems to be gaps developing between floor and the walls again in more than one place. Some of the windows are hard to open and close and we thought that it is because they are old and replacing them would fix the issue.
    The below picture is the one that worries me most, it wasn't there few months back and now very noticeable. It is on top of a door and paint seems to be coming off around some beam/truss.
    [​IMG]

Here are some of the gaps between floor and walls

Hardwood floor not being level.

Hardwood floor moving apart

Another thing that I am noticing is these weird lines in the ceiling as if some wood structure is pressing too much against the ceiling

Baseboard trim moving away from the wall

There is this rain water drainage pipe that seems to have move down a bit as evident by the old paint area getting exposed.

All these thing concern me and I am wondering of these are signs of foundation issues, I am willing to get a report from structural engineer but I am worried that they may ask me to do unnecessary repairs as they work on commission. What do folks here think, I can get some photos.

2. Dec 22, 2018 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

You do not have permission to view media within this album.

3. Dec 22, 2018 #3

Sheraz

Sheraz

Sheraz

Thanks for letting me know, I have changed the settings, hopefully everyone logged in can view them now.

4. Dec 22, 2018 #4

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Do you have a crawl space under the house ? Where in the country are you?

5. Dec 22, 2018 #5

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

I've never heard of a real engineer working on commision.
    All those pictures and not one picture or info on what's going on under the house.
    The ceiling to me just looks like a horrible tape job, as soon as I see texture on a wall or ceiling to me it says just slap it on, cover it up and get out of here.
    It's very common to see a small crack over doorway like that and and an easy fix.
    If I had to look this over first thing I'd be doing is looking under the house to see what's causing it, it's going to do 0 good to patch it up if the bones are bad.
    As far as the gaps under the baseboards that could be lots of things, something as simple as there used be another type flooring there and they were too lazy to remove the baseboards when installing the new, Ect.

nealtw likes this.
  6. Dec 23, 2018 #6

Sheraz

Sheraz

Sheraz

@nealtw yes there is crawlspace under the house and I am just North of Seattle.
    @joecaption I have no clue what is under the house, like I mention there is crawlspace but I have no experience of going in a crawlspace let alone figure out what is happening there.
    I guess getting an inspection from a structural engineer be the right way forward.

nealtw likes this.
Tags: