foundation problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevo3344

Reaction score
Realtor listed this house as having a good foundation but looks like left side is going up, something I should consider buying?

23157669_1540849595968836_907748335_o.jpg

The tilt is certainly something to conceder, along with other things visible in the photo. The question is it a house you should look at depends on the price and what you want the house for and what you can afford.

It would take more money than the house is worth to make it 100% correct most likely. The question is did this happen 50 years ago when the house was built and has long ago stabilized and the damage caused by the shift corrected, or is this an ongoing problem. We would need to see lots more photos to determine that.

If the problems are on going I would pass. If the house is stable as advertised and it is just cosmetic at this point and the price was really right (like 50% of the market price) and I had a plan to live with the tilt then I might look at it closer.

Welcome to the forum.

What is the price? What are the comps? What is the value of raw land in the area?

If this were located in the downtown Cary area it would be snapped up and torn down as the land is worth more than the house. If the lot was big enough it might be subdivided and several houses built there. If it was in a more rural area, it would sit vacant until the land around it got snapped up for a new development.

To me, it looks like a money pit. I've worked on similar homes in Appalachia in worse shape as a volunteer, but there isn't a market for new homes or the income to support tearing it down and rebuilding.

Is the photo yours, or from the realtor's add?

If you down load the picture and enlarge it you get to see the holes drilled for termites and the rot around the left window. the right side window has been worked , I am sure there would be goodies behind the new wood.

buy it ? depends on your intent,,, as a rental it might make sense, as a teardown, might make more sense,,, in the end it all comes down to $$$ & sweat melded w/goal-intent,,, while no one can answer for you, several good suggestions've been posted

Back