foundation sank

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was done properly the footing would be deep in that area, but if it started out as a garage the may not be any foundation there.

Neil , you been a HUGE help , but I have to say , Im kinda sick of you being right. So it dint take long to find out , the block is on a 4" pad which is on another 4" pad , so it looks to me anyway. I hate to get rid of the "walk out" , even if I did would back filling be sufficient? I'd guess no matter what this needs a footer? What are the odds the rest of the basement has a footer?

And how did you know this?

thumb2_2015-04-07-172248-1333.jpg

Seems like both pads are flush with one another. The block is set back a bit.

If it works , what the h***. The house hasn't fallen down but I think I would do away with the door, at least by about 4 ft, waterproof the crap out of it add drainage and back fill. I was temped to say you were lucky as this could have been bad this year, but luck dosn't sound right for you.:D

That wouldn't stop yopu from going back and changing it when you have nothing else to think about.

I think losing the walk-out option on your basement is a big loss. And I suspect you would still need shore up the foundation anyway, so why do it?

An eight inch footing is plenty but after seeing the garage, that could happen here, he could under pin a section and a staircase up to a higher level or under pin the whole area but he just won't have time nor money for it this year.
As he is already working on a new second floor and new roof.

They use hay to protect fresh concrete from freezing perhaps a dozen bails would protect it for a winter

An eight inch footing is plenty but after seeing the garage, that could happen here, he could under pin a section and a staircase up to a higher level or under pin the whole area but he just won't have time nor money for it this year.
As he is already working on a new second floor and new roof.

So I have to ask; don't you take care of the foundation first? I can understand a new roof of course. Maybe i just haven't got a grip on the whole story.

So I have to ask; don't you take care of the foundation first? I can understand a new roof of course. Maybe i just haven't got a grip on the whole story.

No apparent new damage, has done the job for 30 or 40 years. Only checked out of fear. Any repairs or improvement either perm. or temp can be left until just before winter. Normally I would agree foundations come first, but on every job the priorities have to be put in order.

Back