Foundation Wall Crack

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBlakes

Reaction score
We have been given conflicting suggestions on what to do about a crack in our foundation wall. A business told us to fix it with an expensive solution, whereas a family member who is in construction told us it is fine and just a result of settling. Thoughts?
FD17CFAC-C390-438D-81E2-C8C721AD8743.jpeg1F4C1AB0-F9B3-420B-80C6-B8FCFC43DAB5.jpeg

If you put a long straight-edge on the interior block wall, is it still flat ?
Anything noticeable on main floor such as cracks in drywall or doors askew and not closing properly ?
Your wall is not waterproof, but since it seems to be totally above grade, that not a huge concern.
If no other evidence of issues, I think I would just take some photos and measurement of the interior cracks and monitor if they are getting bigger.
Re-parge outside if you are concerned about the looks.

If you put a long straight-edge on the interior block wall, is it still flat ?
Anything noticeable on main floor such as cracks in drywall or doors askew and not closing properly ?
Your wall is not waterproof, but since it seems to be totally above grade, that not a huge concern.
If no other evidence of issues, I think I would just take some photos and measurement of the interior cracks and monitor if they are getting bigger.
Re-parge outside if you are concerned about the looks.
I agree

I've seen this same type thing happen when the house next door was being built and they cleared the lot with the dozer. The vibration of the dozer can cause the wall to crack on an existing home.

Back